Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Sources close to Think Secret have provided a look at the upcoming iMac G5 (previously rumored) in both 17" and 20" configurations.
The soon-to-be-announced, re-designed iMac will be available in two 17-inch models with a 1.6GHz G5 processor and two 20-inch models with a 1.8GHz G5 processor, reliable sources have told Think Secret. In addition, the new models will be housed in an all-in-one body with the motherboard and components attached to the back of the display.
Pricing is expected to be in the $1300 - $2200 range, but higher prices haven't been ruled out.

Starting with an education-aimed model lacking any optical drives presumably to replace the current eMac, the low end machine should sport:
- Single 1.6 Ghz G5 Processor
- 17" widescreen display
- 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
- 256MB of DDR SDRAM
- 512K L2 cache
- NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics processor with 32MB of DDR video memory
- VGA video output, S-video and composite video output
- 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
- two FireWire 400 ports
- three USB 2.0 ports
- two USB 1.1 ports on the keyboard.

The first consumer-level iMac should have the following additions to the base education model:
- Single 1.6 Ghz G5 Processor
- 17" widescreen display
- slot-loading Combo drive
- 80GB Serial ATA hard drive
- NVIDIA GeForce MX 5200 Ultra graphics processor with 64MB of DDR video memory
- 56K internal modem

As a step up, the high-end consumer-level iMac should be equipped with:
- Single 1.8GHz G5 processor
- 20" widescreen TFT display
- slot-loading SuperDrive
- 80GB Serial ATA hard drive
- optional 160GB Serial ATA hard drive
- NVIDIA GeForce MX 5200 Ultra graphics processor with 64MB of DDR video memory
- 256MB of DDR SDRAM.
- All other features will be the same as the 17-inch models.

All models should include stereo speakers in the enclosure, and should support up to 2 GB DDR memory, airport extreme, standard Apple software package, and a wired mouse and keyboard. Additionally, all models should have optical audio-out like the G5 Power Macs.

The new models are expected to be introduced August 31st during the keynote address at Apple Expo Paris.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
hopefully it lokks a whole lot better than that sony.

theese seem like the right specs though although i would have hoped for a better graphics card on the top end

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I hope the video card is upgradable, atleast in the high end model, because that video card is a real shortcoming for a machine like that. (It's the same video card the G4 iMac used...)

Whotheheck

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2004
YEAH!!! I WANT I WANT!!!!! Well... how about a picture?? :cool:

Only complaint is the video card. I hope we have the option to upgrade the damn thing. :rolleyes:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't see how that Sony machine can be very comparable. I don't imagine Apple will have a bulky rear-end like that, and they almost definitely won't have an attached keyboard like that.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
I ? it.

Mounted on the back? No burner? I was hoping Superdrive would become the standard... but I hope for a lot of things like world peace. :rolleyes:

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
wow the highend specs are pretty crappy for being only 200 dollars cheaper then a dual 2ghz g5.. and why can't they put at least a 9600 instead of the crapola 5200

aethier

EDIT: well i guess when you factor in the 20 inch screen... but still

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Umm, no optical drives on the low-end model? I mean, I understood why Apple stopped installing floppy drives in their machines, but I think it's a little to early to call optical drives obsolete.

I for one hope these rumors are untrue. Besides the processor and sata drives, these new iMacs would not be much of an improvement over the previous models.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
DVI output on the iMacs?

And the memory, are they doing only 2 DIMM slots?

Really looks a conservative approach to converting the new DP 1.8 PM into a iMac using the new U3-Lite memory controller.

Until I see the developer note, I don't know how close my SP 1.8 iMac (block diagram) guess was.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
wait.. mounted on the back.. isn't that the same as the original imacs?
and weren't those annoying because they took up a lot of desk space....?
and I should think that even schools with their limited needs would want an optical drive... I mean will the mac OSX install discs be on USB drives?

some parts of this seem very odd...

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I would like a 2GHz high end model ... but we'll see. If it really is an all-in-one model, with the computer behind the lcd, then I'll probably buy one. Crossing fingers that there will be a 2GHz model!

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
comictimes said:
wait.. mounted on the back.. isn't that the same as the original imacs?
and weren't those annoying because they took up a lot of desk space....?
no not at all really the original imacs didnt have imcs so much behind as underneath the crt and with a lcd t would not take up much space.

also it couldnt have been that annoying because it was the best selling pc ever

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
its not going to look like that. thats a step or maybe a hundred backwards. apple wont that! atleast i hope not. when are they going to use that cool plastic they patened? its suppose to allow for light patterns to pulse and glow through it. or something like that.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
comictimes... the originals were crt, so they were deep... this will be pretty flat. Think Powerbook with the lid inverted, no keyboard or hinge.

edit: If they did this, maybe the burner is on the top like the cube. Please say they didn't design it flat.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
tex210 said:
comictimes... the originals were crt, so they were deep... this will be pretty flat. Think Powerbook with the lid inverted, no keyboard or hinge.

ah. that makes sense. In that case it sounds cool. I still have an issue with the lack of an optical drive though...

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I know it's got a G5, but what other redeeming features does the entry-level iMac have over the current eMac?

Is it really worth the nearly $600 price difference?

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
No optical drives on the low end?

No optical drives on the low end? How do I load Tiger when it comes out? I dunno about the rest of it, but they will have at least a CDR drive. At least. Seriously, how would you install anything?? And a CDR is like $10 more than a CD-ROM these days. At least a CDR.

-p-

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
apparently the exclusion of the optical drive was a request of educators to make their systems more secure in the education environment. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the edu model and the consumer base model other than bigger drive/ram. I'd even bet they'd offer the edu model with a bto optical drive as well.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
AndrewMT said:
Umm, no optical drives on the low-end model? I mean, I understood why Apple stopped installing floppy drives in their machines, but I think it's a little to early to call optical drives obsolete.

I for one hope these rumors are untrue. Besides the processor and sata drives, these new iMacs would not be much of an improvement over the previous models.
come one now, you should read the whole article before comments like that. think secret specifically explained why there is no optical drive on the low end. it is to accommodate schools who wish to eliminate the security riskk, plus with high speed networks schools are on, not every computer needs an optical drive.

iJon

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I can't see how they could possibly have no optical drive. MAYBE they mean no optical burner? but even the low-end eMac includes a combo drive

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
Mudbug said:
apparently the exclusion of the optical drive was a request of educators to make their systems more secure in the education environment. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the edu model and the consumer base model other than bigger drive/ram. I'd even bet they'd offer the edu model with a bto optical drive as well.

this seems to mark the dath of the emac no?

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
tex210 said:

This sounds very much like what they would do. But if this were to be the case, a G5 powerbook wouldn't be too far away. Perhaps, this new imac will give us a clue as to how small can they squeeze the G5 processor in.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
job said:
I know it's got a G5, but what other redeeming features does the entry-level iMac have over the current eMac?

Is it really worth the nearly $600 price difference?

The G5 (64) is the future. 600 is worth it for that reason alone. Or just wait 'til you MUST upgrade. The prices will slowly creep or capabilities will increase.

psx, I guess sans optical makes sense in some situations. The installation could be through firewire or ethernet I believe. Updates as well. Usb thumbs for office files and ipod for the big stuff. Omygosh... the ipod will render optical obsolete! For those who don't ipod, there are plain portable drives. Wow, I get it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.