Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Ok, so I was talking to a friend online, and we got into a discussion of system updates for Apple versus those for Microsoft. He was complaining (well not really, as he is a PC user, and doesn't have to buy the new updates) about how often Apple releases updates, and so every year or so you have to buy a new update if you want to keep up to date. Whereas with microsoft they release a new update every 3 or 4 years, and give free downloadable updates between the releases. Of course I argued that, firstly, you don't really have to buy the new updates every single year, as all of the things released will still work on your old version of Mac OSX. Secondly, you also get free updates for Mac OSX, so it's not like you get what you pay for, and that's it. And thirdly, it seems that it would be better for a major release to be every year or year and a half, as computers double in speed and power approximately every 18 months. If a major release was only every 3-4 years, it seems to me the OS would be very far behind what the computer was capable of doing long before a new OS was released.

I may be very wrong on some of this stuff, or ignoring things altogether, so feel free to correct me. But what are other people's thoughts on this? I'm just kind of curious...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.