Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaCDUDE00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I have a powerbook G4 1.5Ghz with 1.25GB of RAM running Leopard since it came out, about a year ago I replaced the harddrive with a new 250GB, everything worked great, then I took out the 1GB stick of RAM to use in my iMac, then ordered a new 1GB (Crucial) Now, the computer is super slow, processor usage is in the 90s doing nothing, it forgets my wifi network, and webpages take 1-2 minutes to load. So I put back in the old 1GB stick, no change. Then I did a clean install on the harddrive of Leopard, same thing, then I did another clean install, same thing. I believe the new harddrive is fine, makes no weird noises, etc. I checked and the computer is reading both RAM sticks, or so says system info, (see screen shot). Any idea what made this soooo slow and how to fix it? Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 75

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
This sounds like a problem with the Parameter Ram or PMU. Restart the computer then hold down Command-Option-P-R and see if that helps. The next thing it to turn off the computer, the hold down Command, Options, Shift, and Power for 10 seconds, then let the computer start up and see if that helps.

TEG

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Is the full 1.25 GB RAM showing up in About This Mac? Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

MaCDUDE00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
This sounds like a problem with the Parameter Ram or PMU. Restart the computer then hold down Command-Option-P-R and see if that helps. The next thing it to turn off the computer, the hold down Command, Options, Shift, and Power for 10 seconds, then let the computer start up and see if that helps.

TEG

OK, that second one, holding down Command, Options, Shift, and Power for 10 seconds, you hold Power with all that? I've never heard of that, but I will try it right now, and this would persist even through a clean install? Oh, Love your quote!

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
When you open up Activity Monitor under the System Memory tab what do you see? Do you see page out greater than a few hundreds of megabytes under normal use?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
There is a pretty good article in this week's edition of Small Dog.com's Kibbles & Bytes #652. Scroll down to the article Ten Tips for Dealing with Unexpected Mac Slowdowns. Hope this helps.

Mael Thibault

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Answer!!

I would copy the macintosh HD (like the whole computer) on a seperate Hard DRive and then i would erase everything (like with the writing zero's to the drive). Once that is done, put everything back in the computer... Try and not put everything, so there is space on the disc for other stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.