Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
typofreak183
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah
Help! - Transfer iPod apps/music to new account?

I'm relatively new here, so thanks for any help you can give

Right now, I own a 2nd generation iPod Touch (8G), and I'm satisfied immensely with it. But as of now the iPod, and all my music and apps from the app store, are synced to my parents' iTunes account. I'm not moving computers, but I want to know if there is a way I can transfer "ownership" of my iPod to another account. I want to transfer the ownership even if I need to repurchase music and apps. Is there any way of doing this? Is there a program I could use to copy the app files off my iPod or from iTunes (*.ipa files)? Can I copy my music over to the new account?

EDIT: I would also like some advice on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. The plan is, if at all possible, to link my new iTunes account to my PayPal, and then that can be linked to my parents' credit card. This is nice because when I get off to college, all I need to do is put my new credit card into PayPal. (Also I'm doing this because my sisters share the family iTunes account, and I don't want Hannah Montana getting synced everytime I open iTunes)

Thanks for any and all help again
__________________
'08 MacBook, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch (Jailbroken)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Last edited by typofreak183; Dec 31, 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added info
typofreak183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by typofreak183 View Post
I'm relatively new here, so thanks for any help you can give

Right now, I own a 2nd generation iPod Touch (8G), and I'm satisfied immensely with it. But as of now the iPod, and all my music and apps from the app store, are synced to my parents' iTunes account. I'm not moving computers, but I want to know if there is a way I can transfer "ownership" of my iPod to another account. I want to transfer the ownership even if I need to repurchase music and apps. Is there any way of doing this? Is there a program I could use to copy the app files off my iPod or from iTunes (*.ipa files)? Can I copy my music over to the new account?

EDIT: I would also like some advice on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. The plan is, if at all possible, to link my new iTunes account to my PayPal, and then that can be linked to my parents' credit card. This is nice because when I get off to college, all I need to do is put my new credit card into PayPal. (Also I'm doing this because my sisters share the family iTunes account, and I don't want Hannah Montana getting synced everytime I open iTunes)

Thanks for any and all help again
You have to understand how the iTunes environment works.

There is a single iTunes Store account. Anything purchased on this account is associated with this account, and this account only.

Your computer is a place that you can link the account to. You're essentially giving permission for that computer to play/use content purchased on that account. Any one account can have up to 5 computers that allow content from that account. Any computer can have an unlimited number of accounts on it.

Your iPod is not a stand alone device really. Aside from apps, consider it an extension of the home iTunes. It can be associated with a computer, but essentially is an extension of the iTunes software (and as many accounts on that computer).

So technically, you don't 'transfer' ownership of the iPod. If you sync it with another computer, it then becomes associated with THAT computer, and the iTunes accounts on THAT computer.

There is no way to transfer ownership between iTunes accounts, as far as I know. You can move to new computers, you can allow other computers to have the same content if the account is on there, but to create a new iTunes account (your own), you're going to have to start afresh.

also note that you don't have to sin Hannah Montana to your iPod. You manage what syncs to your ipod through the iPod pane in iTunes - if you don't want Hannah Montana, choose not to sync that. There are multiple ways of organising what you get on your iPod.
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
typofreak183
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkgoo View Post
You have to understand how the iTunes environment works.

There is a single iTunes Store account. Anything purchased on this account is associated with this account, and this account only.

Your computer is a place that you can link the account to. You're essentially giving permission for that computer to play/use content purchased on that account. Any one account can have up to 5 computers that allow content from that account. Any computer can have an unlimited number of accounts on it.

Your iPod is not a stand alone device really. Aside from apps, consider it an extension of the home iTunes. It can be associated with a computer, but essentially is an extension of the iTunes software (and as many accounts on that computer).

So technically, you don't 'transfer' ownership of the iPod. If you sync it with another computer, it then becomes associated with THAT computer, and the iTunes accounts on THAT computer.

There is no way to transfer ownership between iTunes accounts, as far as I know. You can move to new computers, you can allow other computers to have the same content if the account is on there, but to create a new iTunes account (your own), you're going to have to start afresh.

also note that you don't have to sin Hannah Montana to your iPod. You manage what syncs to your ipod through the iPod pane in iTunes - if you don't want Hannah Montana, choose not to sync that. There are multiple ways of organising what you get on your iPod.
OK, thanks for the help

So far, actually, it looks like I can still have my library of music playing while signed in to another account. My iPod still syncs fine, so I guess the problems start to happen when I want to purchase things next. Hopefully, since it's on the same music account and all the music from both accounts is kept in the same folder, iTunes will let me keep it all.
__________________
'08 MacBook, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch (Jailbroken)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
typofreak183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:26 PM   #4
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by typofreak183 View Post
OK, thanks for the help

So far, actually, it looks like I can still have my library of music playing while signed in to another account. My iPod still syncs fine, so I guess the problems start to happen when I want to purchase things next. Hopefully, since it's on the same music account and all the music from both accounts is kept in the same folder, iTunes will let me keep it all.
Yes, both the computer and hence iPod (which, as I said is just an extension of the computer iTunes) can have multiple accounts associated with it no problem. If that computer is authorised to play from content purchased on several accounts, then any ipod associated with that computer will also do the same.

The locations of the files and folders is irrelevant. Every DRM'ed media has a small code that associates it with a Music Store Account. The computer is simply told which accounts it's allowed to play. And an iPod will play whatever that computer is allowed to play (being an extension of that library).

That said, all the iTunes music NOW is DRM free. Content you'd have to worry about is older pre-iTunePlus music, movies/tv shows, and apps. But if your computer contains several accounts, that's fine, your ipod will play home all.

It only becomes an issue when you move to a new computer, and you need authorisation for that computer to play from different accounts (you just have to give permission for all the accounts).
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
ddegrasse
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by typofreak183 View Post
I'm relatively new here, so thanks for any help you can give

Right now, I own a 2nd generation iPod Touch (8G), and I'm satisfied immensely with it. But as of now the iPod, and all my music and apps from the app store, are synced to my parents' iTunes account. I'm not moving computers, but I want to know if there is a way I can transfer "ownership" of my iPod to another account. I want to transfer the ownership even if I need to repurchase music and apps. Is there any way of doing this? Is there a program I could use to copy the app files off my iPod or from iTunes (*.ipa files)? Can I copy my music over to the new account?

EDIT: I would also like some advice on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. The plan is, if at all possible, to link my new iTunes account to my PayPal, and then that can be linked to my parents' credit card. This is nice because when I get off to college, all I need to do is put my new credit card into PayPal. (Also I'm doing this because my sisters share the family iTunes account, and I don't want Hannah Montana getting synced everytime I open iTunes)

Thanks for any and all help again
I have had a issue like this for a while, and I suggest you check this out: http://itechcrazy.com/how-to-install...apple-devices/. This application is not for piracy, but it will allow you to resign your favorite apps to yourself.

Music can have the DRM removed. This app will do that: http://seidai.50webs.com/Seidai%20So...s/FairGame.zip.

I have also heard that CDs don't support DRM, and exporting to a cd, signing into a new account, and importing works.

Remember, google is your friend.
NOTE:
*Music will not go to iCloud unless you have itunes match.*
**I haven't tested these methods, so use them at your own risk.**
ddegrasse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch Syncing to new Computer.....help JNSC iPod touch 8 Sep 9, 2011 08:13 PM
Need Help, Transfer iphone PC user to new Mac spacepower7 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 14 Feb 9, 2011 10:10 AM
Transferring iPod touch Settings to New iPod touch agentkow iPod touch 2 Feb 21, 2008 09:51 PM
Help transfering photos and music to new user account pammyspyce Mac Basics and Help 2 Jun 8, 2007 12:15 PM
Transfer iChat buddy list to new account wifi_cowboy Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Aug 2, 2004 10:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC