Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
powersurge
macrumors member

Mini display port + Windows = BSOD

I just picked up a Mini display port to DVI adapter for my Macbook Pro so that I could hook it up to my 32 inch 1080p tv that I use as my main desktop monitor. It works just great in OSX (though for some odd reason I have to put the laptop to sleep then plug it in for it to work correctly. Can't be on or off otherwise I don't get the full picture not sure why) but in bootcamp it instantly causes a blue screen. If I plug it in then reboot to windows I get a blue screen even before its loaded windows all the way. I assume this is a driver issue but I'm using the latest boot camp drivers. Should I swap them out for Nvidia's? (195.62 it looks like is the latest)
powersurge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersurge View Post
I just picked up a Mini display port to DVI adapter for my Macbook Pro so that I could hook it up to my 32 inch 1080p tv that I use as my main desktop monitor. It works just great in OSX (though for some odd reason I have to put the laptop to sleep then plug it in for it to work correctly. Can't be on or off otherwise I don't get the full picture not sure why) but in bootcamp it instantly causes a blue screen. If I plug it in then reboot to windows I get a blue screen even before its loaded windows all the way. I assume this is a driver issue but I'm using the latest boot camp drivers. Should I swap them out for Nvidia's? (195.62 it looks like is the latest)
What version of Windows?

(Also, about your OS X/sleeping problem, instead of sleeping, open up System Preferences > Displays, that will let you select the proper resolutions and such, and also let you put a Displays icon in the menu bar.)
Matthew Yohe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
powersurge
macrumors member

Windows Vista 32bit until apple adds official support for Windows 7 (have a copy ready to go!).

As for the OSX issue the display settings are correct and I have the display icon turned on but I still have the problem of my screen thinking its getting a much lower resolution than it should be getting even with it set to 1920x1080/60 unless I put it to sleep then plug in the cord (in which case I get the correct res looks great).

edit: Replacing the apple provided driver with Nvidia's Generic 9M series driver seems to have stopped the BSOD when plugging in an external monitor while in Windows.

Last edited by powersurge; Jan 2, 2010 at 02:27 AM.
powersurge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:17 AM   #4
kny3twalker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersurge View Post

edit: Replacing the apple provided driver with Nvidia's Generic 9M series driver seems to have stopped the BSOD when plugging in an external monitor while in Windows.
How did you do this?

Nevermind figured it out. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=850809

Last edited by kny3twalker; Jan 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
kny3twalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac