Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wak9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard I have had trouble using my 1TB Maxtor External HD. Now I can't get it to work at all anymore! It is partitioned into two sections, 1gb and aprox 999GBs. The 1GB section shows up sometimes when I plug it in but the main section never does. Whatever does show up I can't eject of course without using force eject and that doesn't always work either.

Using the program path finder I now see the main partition though I can't eject it nor can I see any of the files. The info section does tell me how much free space I have on it, and that is in line with expectations.

I tried using disk utility to mount or eject or use first aid and nothing works. I've unplugged and restarted my computer and the exHD many times and nothing.

I really hope I haven't lost over 700GB of data. Please help me! Thank you.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Sou you have a 1TB drive, which has a 1TB partition and another 999GB partition and 1GB flowing around somewhere?

What do you mean by sections?

What connection do you use to access the HDD (Firewire or USB or ....) and what Mac do you have?

Have you tried an SMC reset yet?

Wak9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Sou you have a 1TB drive, which has a 1TB partition and another 999GB partition and 1GB flowing around somewhere?

What do you mean by sections?

What connection do you use to access the HDD (Firewire or USB or ....) and what Mac do you have?

Have you tried an SMC reset yet?

I have a 1TB HD partitioned into two sections, one 1gb section and one 999gb (approx) section for a total of 1gb.

It connects to my computer through USB. I have a unibody macbook, not sure what an SMC reset does or how to do it but I'll give it a try.

Thank you!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I have a 1TB HD partitioned into two sections, one 1gb section and one 999gb (approx) section for a total of 1gb.

It connects to my computer through USB. I have a unibody macbook, not sure what an SMC reset does or how to do it but I'll give it a try.

Thank you!

Sorry, have misread the first 1gb as 1TB.

What do you mean by this: one 999gb (approx) section for a total of 1gb ?

Does Disk Utility recognize your external HDD?

PS: I assume you mean partition by section, don't you? Partition is the proper term to use when dividing one HDD into more than one partition.

Wak9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry, have misread the first 1gb as 1TB.

What do you mean by this: one 999gb (approx) section for a total of 1gb ?

Does Disk Utility recognize your external HDD?

PS: I assume you mean partition by section, don't you? Partition is the proper term to use when dividing one HDD into more than one partition.

I mean partition, there is one 1GB partition and one 999GB partition. Disk Utility sees something sometimes but it won't let me do anything.

Wak9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I just finished resetting the SMC settings and the only thing that loads is the 1gb partition. I can't even eject it. Still can't do anything with disk utility either. The partition with all my stuff still doesn't load.

Any ideas? I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.