Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Consumer Electronics Show 2010 (CES) Kicks Off this Week

The 2010 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) kicks off this week and analysts are expecting the predominant themes to be connectivity and mobility. Mobile devices such as new Android devices and tablet computers are expected to be a big focus. Meanwhile, outside of CES, Google and Apple are both expected to make announcements regarding their future plans this month.

The launch of the Google Nexus One phone is planned for January 5th, while Apple is rumored to be announcing their tablet device on/around January 26th.

For our part, MacRumors will be attending CES for the first time this year. In the past our focus has been Macworld Expo which has tended to run concurrently with CES. This year, however, Apple withdrew from Macworld which resulted in it being rescheduled into February. We'll be focusing on any relevant Apple-related announcements including new Intel chips, ARM-related technology, notable 3rd party Tablets and more. CES 2010 runs from January 7th - 10th.

Article Link: Consumer Electronics Show 2010 (CES) Kicks Off this Week
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:37 PM   #2
kennycheng93
macrumors member

Mbp

New MBP coming soon?
kennycheng93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:38 PM   #3
melchior
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennycheng93 View Post
New MBP coming soon?
no
melchior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Quote:
Originally Posted by melchior View Post
no
Wrong. Wrong Venue, but I'd say they are coming. In other news, I'll be there...
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Frosties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennycheng93 View Post
New MBP coming soon?
Quote:
no
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
Yes. Wrong Venue. In other news, I'll be there...
Yes it will come soon. Apple will be a joke if they don't use the CES presented Arrandale.
Frosties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I just want new hardware. Computex might be much more interesting with what AMD is going to be offering.

Westmere has been in the table to months now so it's nothing that surprising.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

I'm looking forward to some new Canon AVCHD cameras.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Frosties
macrumors 6502a

There was talk about a replacement for the Nikon D90 coming soon perhaps presented at CES but so far no whispers has come of that yet.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:58 PM   #9
ImpostorOak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosties View Post
Yes it will come soon. Apple will be a joke if they don't use the CES presented Arrandale.
It depends on what "soon" means. This month? I'd say almost definitely. In the next week? I'd say doubtful.

What will be really interesting is to see what Apple does about the graphics. Will they only introduce Arrandale into the models that already have discreet graphics cards? Or will they extend discreet cards to all Pro models (all PowerBooks had discreet chips iirc)? The other option, which I don't see happening, is Apple putting Arrandale in the whole MBP line and leaving the 13" model with only the graphics on the chip. I'm hoping they just put out a 13" model with a discreet card and let people fall back on the onboard graphics when they want to save battery life.
ImpostorOak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:59 PM   #10
melchior
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosties View Post
they won't be a joke, because they're not attending.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:01 PM   #11
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

I want to see the new android stuff and the tablet computers. Android has really impressed me so far.
fun173 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Frosties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
they won't be a joke, because they're not attending.
They still sell computers, do they not?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Cant wait to see more on the Boxee box and Atom type technology!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:14 PM   #14
csdibiase
macrumors member

Being that the rumors about the January 26th event are focused on the tablet and mobility, Apple is likely to silently update the MacBook Pro on some Tuesday between then and now.

Then again Apple might see the transition to Arrendale as a big enough deal to sit on and mention as part of their press event. I'm personally hoping the refresh the macbook pro line ahead of their event as I don't want to wait that much longer to buy a new machine
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
I bought my first Mac in late 2005 and in January of 2006 attended my first (and now probably only) MacWorld. Well, that was the one to be at, absolutely, with Apple's announcements of their brand-new iMacs and MacBook Pros sporting the then new to Apple intel chip! Wow, that was something.....

I've never been to a CES but always thought it unfortunate that it and MacWorld were timed so closely together that in some years they overlapped.....NOT a good situation!

Looking forward to what CES has to show us and what MacWorld has to show us....but of course most importantly am looking forward to January 26th to see what Apple is bringing us!!!

As for cameras and such, I've always looked to Photokina and also individual manufacturers' special announcements of new products so for me, CES isn't a big player in my mind when it comes to photography.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Warbrain
macrumors 603

I have a pass to CES.

I'm not going.

Just got a new job and figured I could go in the future.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:29 PM   #17
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

Sites keep reporting that there's going to be an Apple event on January 26th as if it's a fact. Is there any REAL proof that that's the day of announcement?
Proof of tablet (however solid it is) != proof of announcement!

In any case, Apple has to give journalists 1-2 week notice before announcing anything. We'll find out well before the 26th if it really is true.
dagamer34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Ramashalanka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
We'll be focusing on any relevant Apple-related announcements including new Intel chips, ARM-related technology, notable 3rd party Tablets and more.
Hopefully we'll get some info on NVIDIA's GE Force 300 fermi cards for the Mac Pro, too.
Ramashalanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:33 PM   #19
melchior
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Sites keep reporting that there's going to be an Apple event on January 26th as if it's a fact. Is there any REAL proof that that's the day of announcement?
Proof of tablet (however solid it is) != proof of announcement!

In any case, Apple has to give journalists 1-2 week notice before announcing anything. We'll find out well before the 26th if it really is true.
a number of reliable sources have indicated that there is an event booked for the 26th. this is of course not proof of tablet-magic-slate, it could be the fabled arrandale mbp with apple making a fanfare about moving back to "advanced intel graphics that will blow nvidia out of the water" ;-)

and there is no need for apple to give journalists 1-2 weeks notice, they have done it on less before.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Dr.Pants
macrumors 65816

Hopefully Intel unveils its new lines of processors, known as Gulftown. Mmmm... tasty 32nm manufacturing process.

Oh, and who can forget about Arrendale and Clarksdale

EDIT - BTW, Macrumors, thanks for attending!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:36 PM   #21
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

bring on the new crop of iPod/iPhone accessories!
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:37 PM   #22
ifjake
macrumors 6502a

I couldn't care less about an Apple tablet computer (I dare you to make me care, Apple, I dare you). I'm just starting to not really like the whole "Apple events" thing they're into now. I'd prefer for them to join with some community, whether it be Macworld or CES or whatever (I love it when they go to NAB), than to go on their own cloud. I agree that they're doing software and hardware to a degree well above the competition, but for them to separate themselves just makes them seem more superfluously pretentious and needlessly exclusive.
ifjake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:52 PM   #23
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
I just want new hardware. Computex might be much more interesting with what AMD is going to be offering.

Westmere has been in the table to months now so it's nothing that surprising.
How about Core i7 930 being released? According to many sources, it's due in Q1 2010. Intel hasn't been specific whether it'll be 45nm or 32nm as it's 6 core counter part, which by my predictions should make it into the Mac Pro.

Also, SATA 6 Gb/s please appear on more boards!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:09 PM   #24
georgemann
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdibiase View Post
Being that the rumors about the January 26th event are focused on the tablet and mobility, Apple is likely to silently update the MacBook Pro on some Tuesday between then and now.

Then again Apple might see the transition to Arrendale as a big enough deal to sit on and mention as part of their press event. I'm personally hoping the refresh the macbook pro line ahead of their event as I don't want to wait that much longer to buy a new machine
The January 26 event will be focused on iTablets/Slates (maybe some iPhone upgrades) and the big (one other thing) surprise will be the launch of Apple's Cloud System. There won't be room for anything else.

MacBook upgrades will either be silent or at another event.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:17 PM   #25
iDisk
macrumors 6502a

CES Eh... Why call it MacWorld?

I love these types of trade-shows. The inspiration one can get from these is amazing, also not to mention the networking .... BUT AND IT'S A HUGE BUT .... Last years CES brought to notable following:
  • OLED Tv's (The 2nd Best announcement by far)
  • The palm pre (2009's joke cell phone)
  • Pico Projectors (is an emerging technology that applies the use of a projector in a handheld device. Like the Nikon Coolpix S1000, which is very cool but is it really CES news worthy? If Nikon was more Apple like they could have launched it much better IMO)
  • Marvell (is an American producer of storage, communications and consumer semiconductor products.)
  • SheevaPlug ( This is just a PLUG COMPUTER...One of the first on the market BTW)
  • Dell Adamo
  • Minoru 3D Webcam (Very Cool webcam, which looks like WALL-E or Johnny 5 and takes a distant 3rd in best announcement)

The Biggest announcement at CES wasn't even at CES and that was Apple bowing out of MacWorld. Which should change its name. For decades when you heard MacWorld you instantly thought Apple. Now since the name of the show left, they should really think about starting new and changing the name of the convention.

I like the ideas of these shows as mentioned above but Apple gave a clear indication as to where these trade-shows are heading.

Apple will steal ALL the Thunder from both CES and Macworld (even-though MacWorld is slated in Feb)

On a side note if Apple focuses on the mobility space (As mentioned by Arns article). I think we should expect the following IF THERE IS AN ACTUAL EVENT (read below about apples product cycle):
  • Mobile Me/ iWork.com (beta)
  • Time Capsule
  • Some talk about iPhone and company numbers
  • The rumored "Tablet"

Also Apple addressed their Annual Product cycles.
  • The Holiday Season. Novemberish
  • The educational buying season. Late summer
  • iPods. October
  • iLife Development cycle. Usually March
  • iPhone. June
  • Apple updates the desktops and notebooks whenever there ready.

Phil Schiller even said "JANUARY" doesn't fit with any product cycle announcements.

iDisk

Last edited by iDisk; Jan 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
iDisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion