Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrado33

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
So, just as the title states, my non-unibody MBP shuts off when I shock it with a static shock. It's not my fault really, as the air here is really dry (although I've resorted to touching something metal near me before touching the computer, and that works fine). I have the computer plugged in the the grounded extension cord thing, so why is this a problem? I know that static shock is horrible for electronics, but shouldn't this be taken care of somehow?

I just want to make sure nothing is wrong cause my 3 year applecare is about to expire.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and no, this has never happened to me before, just twice today. It'll shut off completely. It did once while the computer was asleep, and once while it was awake.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Odd. I can shock my case and nothing happens - done it a few times when holding the USB connector for my hard drive and trying to plug it in to the USB port.

If your AppleCare is about to expire, then you should take it in and get it looked at.

Corrado33

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Thanks guys, I'll call them up right now. The thing is, the computer isn't shocking ME, I'm shocking it, then it turns off. I'll let you know the results.

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
This just happened to me - first time

This just happened to me. I was sitting on my couch (which often crackles with static electricity, this time of year) with my non-unibody MBP. I set the machine down next to me to get up and heard a pretty big shock. In the same instant my MBP powers off.

Now, one would think there would be shielding to prevent said event, so, what gives?

OP, did you check with Apple on this? Any news to report?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.