Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1
shevans
macrumors member

Finder - jumps to bottom of directory list

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard I an issue with finder, when I open up any drive and then click say a folder/directory starting with the letter A, then click on a sub-folder, finder jumps to the very bottom of the top level folder/directory list. This forces me each time to then scroll back to the top where I was working.

It easier to see than describe the fault/feature, so hope this makes sense.
shevans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
k2creative
macrumors newbie

Finder jumping to the last file in a window

I've had the same trouble. When I drag something from my desktop to a folder on my server it jumps to the last file in that window. Then I have to scroll back up.It's very annoying. Specifically in List View which I use most regularly.

Another issue I've noticed is has to do with filenames. It seems that certain character like # keep me from double clicking a file to open it. I have to go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the file. I've got every envelope I've ever done here at work saved as env #10 or env #9, etc. And when saving to a PDF out of Quark or InDesign filenames act crazy as well!

Please do your best to sort these thing out

Thanks
k2creative is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Gregg2
macrumors 601

This is a well documented issue. There are surely other threads here on the subject, with a variety of responses. I'd suggest using the Search feature.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:11 AM   #4
ScouseMac
macrumors newbie

finder auto scrolling jumping

Was there a solution for this. I have tried to search using words like "finder jumps" "finder auto scrolling" etc and had no luck.

If I have a list view in Finder that has more files that are in the view (the scroll bar is showing on the right), and I scroll down through the folder, finder jumps back up to the top of the list. If I select a file in the folder then scroll down past the view point, everything works for about 5 seconds then bam! finder takes control and scrolls back up so that the selected file is in the view. Drives me crazy. Especially f you have very large folders that you are scrolling.

Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro 17" Os X 10.6.4

Last edited by ScouseMac; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
ScouseMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
HD Boy
macrumors newbie

This same thing has been happening to me for months under Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro, but not on my MacBook Pro. Has anyone found the cause of this this maddening issue?
HD Boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
netvana
macrumors newbie

Same issue. I am trying to reorganize my music library. I used to have a Zune, so I leased a lot of that music but some of it, I bought. The subscription files are all .wma so the easy thing to do was to search my entire mac for .wma and delete. That however does not delete the artist folder when emptied of course. Some of the music I got on Zune was purchased however, and they are all .mp3 files. I suppose I could do a spotlight search to only search Zune folder for .mp3 file and move to itunes folder. The problem I am having is I want to expand all the files, but I used Command A - left/rt arrow button but that does not open all sub folders - and I'm back to the same problem, I click on the folder, collapse and it scrolls to the bottom!! Maddening!
netvana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:11 AM   #7
kenmoberg
macrumors newbie

I have the same issue....

Anyone found a solution? Tried trashing my finder prefs and relaunching but that didn't work. I've found that it only happens when I twirl some folders, not all and it will usually jump to the same location. I haven't found a consistent pattern yet.
kenmoberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:33 AM   #8
kenmoberg
macrumors newbie

Mine is fixed

I got to thinking...what would I do if this was windows explorer? Obviously reboot, well, with windows it's usually reboot 6 times, but anyway. I haven't rebooted my macbook pro for a few weeks. So either just rebooting, or trashing the finder prefs and then rebooting solved it. My guess is the latter because I'm pretty sure this was occuring before my last reboot.

Anyway, this worked for me.
kenmoberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:03 AM   #9
exempt
macrumors newbie

I have this same issue under Snow Leopard 10.6.7, it's the most annoying thing when I'm whipping through directories and moving items. Rebooting didn't help, as well as repairing permissions didn't help. I still have this problem!! Googling every type of relevant search came up fruitless.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:08 PM   #10
druphone
macrumors newbie

Same very frustrating issue

When I scroll the highlighted file out of the Finder window, 1 second later, Finder scrolls it back into view. It happens every time. Trying to view files in a large folder is maddening!
This is on a MBP with Snow Leopard.
druphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:42 AM   #11
harmoog
macrumors newbie

Solution (perhaps)

I found a solution to the problem of the finder window not returning to the spot where you had scrolled to, or jumping to the very bottom...

If you use the keyboard shortcut CMD+Up Arrow instead of hitting the back button it will return to the spot where you were previously viewing the folder, at least it does for me...
harmoog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:15 AM   #12
Sergie

Finder - jumps to bottom of directory list

A possible workaround that's worked in my case:

In finder preferences I had switched the "New finder windows open:"
from Macintosh HD to "bla bla Mac Mini" (My system name or top level search tree). This then induced the problem of the highlighter jumping to the last folder on an extended listing. Switching back my preferences setting above gives a slightly different view but resolves the jumping issue.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Sergie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:22 AM   #13
hitechabyss
macrumors newbie

Hold Option and click in the scrollbar and/or move slider with option

I think I finally solved this unbelievably annoying bug, if you have a finder window with search criteria and scroll down the list (by clicking the slider or mouse swiping, the window would refresh and take you back to the top of the list.

for such a simple common operation I can't believe it's never been fixed by Apple!

2 things I changed, "Finder Preferences -> Use the previous Search scope" and more important:

Hold the Option button and click at any point in the scrollbar or option+grab the slider and move it.

Until you do something else in finder, it'll stay like this and now I'm finally able to scroll to the end of a 9000 file listing and not be annoyed by that bug.
hitechabyss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:51 AM   #14
kingxflavah
macrumors newbie

i noticed the same but when i highlight the folder i intend on expanding prior to expanding, finder seems to be able to maintain its position just fine... regardless i hope any of these solutions help someone.

cheers
kingxflavah is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X