Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1
wheals
macrumors newbie

G5 and Intel HD's swappable ?

I just got a iMac G5 (pre iSight) and I'm trying to start it up holding down option while it's connected to a duplicate version of my MacBook's HD on an external firewire HD and it's not being able to boot from it . My Macbook works fine when I do this if I feel like trying something out on the external drive 1st .

The only thing I can think that's wrong is that the G5 & Intel HD's are not swappable . This could ruin my plans of putting a drive in the iMac the same size as my Macbook and simply copying over all the contents through restore w/ target disk mode .

Is that what I'm dealing w/ ? And if so does anyone know a way around it besides having to reinstall all my old programs and files into the G5 piece by piece ?

FYI : My intel MacBook is still running Tiger and that's what's on the iMac as well .

Sorry for the newbie post and I did try a search . Thanks .
wheals is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:03 PM   #2
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Tiger is not swappable between intel and PPC. Two different installs with two different installer disks.

Leopard is - though the default disk partitioning scheme is different.

IIRC PPC needs Apple partitioning (APM) and the intel defaults to Global (GUID), but intel will boot off of the Apple scheme.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3
wheals
macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick reply .

If I install Leopard on both computers should I be able to use restore in disk utility to copy my MacBook's HD to the iMac in target disk mode and make it work ?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4
reebzor
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to reebzor
Couldnt you just boot the iMac in target disk mode and use like Superduper to clone the macbooks drive to the imac?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
wheals
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebzor View Post
Couldnt you just boot the iMac in target disk mode and use like Superduper to clone the macbooks drive to the imac?
That's what I was planning on doing but now am not sure if I should attempt it when I can't boot it from an external drive that's a clone of my Macbook .

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs