Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Any users of objective-basic?

I'm wondering about this but it seems to be stuck in beta stage for a long time?

Any opinions, thoughts recommendations?

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Any users of objective-basic?

I'm wondering about this but it seems to be stuck in beta stage for a long time?

Any opinions, thoughts recommendations?

FWIW, I just looked at that site and when you click on download link, it says coming soon....so, at least I couldn't download anything....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The whole thing seems insanely unprofessional. Heavy use of copyrighted material (all those Apple images that they almost certainly don't have the rights to use). A screenshot of iTunes which not only has nothing to do with what they are doing but is written in Carbon not Cocoa! Do I need to go on?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
FWIW, I just looked at that site and when you click on download link, it says coming soon....so, at least I couldn't download anything....

That's been that way since I first stumbled upon the site many months ago.

I think its an interesting concept, but it seems that its more vapor-ware. That's way I was asking if there's any users of it, since there's no way to download it. Perhaps you need to contact them via email for a download link or something.

imiloa

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
oahu
As a programmer, my thought is that anyone willing to invest time in learning an OS X dev language, should just invest that time in Obj-C.

-- Obj-C is the established standard, fully supported by Xcode.
-- There's a wide range of libraries and existing Obj-C code to leverage.
-- Writing in OS X's primary language, with Apple's official dev tools, to Apple coding guidelines greatly increases your odds of being compatible with OS 10.7 and future evolutions.

That said, Obj-C syntax is fairly awkward for coders used to Java, C++, etc...

If that's a hurdle, then consider developing in Adobe Flash/Flex Actionscript. Actionscript 3 is a clean, evolved language. Flash projects can be deployed as cross-platform (Mac/Win/Linux) desktop apps, web-based Flash, and this summer (via forthcoming CS5) also native iPhone binaries.

If you want to target more than just the Mac market, it's an easy win-win.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You could join their forums and ask them directly.
I was planning on it, but if you noticed, thier forums are not as lively as this one, so I thought I'd get some unbiased advise sooner then later here.

As a programmer, my thought is that anyone willing to invest time in learning an OS X dev language, should just invest that time in Obj-C.
That's what I'm kicking around as well. Time and energy are my constraints. Its more of a hobby then looking to do serious money making development. basic gives me a easier learning curve and if objective-basic provdides access to the same cocoa frameworks that objective-c has, then all the better.

I played with real basic and its ok. It produces carbon based apps, and so I don't have access to the cocoa framework. Plus its strength is cross platform development so it maintains a look that is less mac like as well.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Time and energy are my constraints. Its more of a hobby then looking to do serious money making development. basic gives me a easier learning curve and if objective-basic provdides access to the same cocoa frameworks that objective-c has, then all the better.

It's going to take a lot of both time and energy to build the requisite knowledge to do much of anything non-trivial in terms of Cocoa programming. It's a serious hobby for me, and I love the challenge of it, so the investment's been worth it for me, but there are certainly quicker and easier ways to "scratch your programming itch."

If I were starting from scratch and didn't have the time and energy to learn Objective-C and the Cococa frameworks, I would probably take a very hard look at Python. It's been designed to have a very clean and simple syntax and would probably provide the least barriers to entry for getting started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.