Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eythandamico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
So I've searched high and low with no avail! I apologize for the repost if this is already solved amongst the threads but;

So simplified my setup is, MacBook and an external 250 GB USB HDD.

Problem: I want to put a majority (mostly the stuff I dont listen to, but cant get rid of) of my itunes library onto my external. I'm aware of the option(alt) key to create a new library and also to alternate between multiple libraries. So I was wondering if it were at all possible to have multiple libraries (one located on my MacBook and the other on my external) without having to alternate them. So I want them simultaneously displayed in the same window basically.

I hope thats coherent :)

let me know your thoughts!!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
So I was wondering if it were at all possible to have multiple libraries (one located on my MacBook and the other on my external) without having to alternate them.

What you are describing doesn't require multiple libraries at all. Just uncheck the option to have iTunes copy files to the iTunes Music folder when you import music.

Of course the caveat is that you'll need to have your external drive on while you have iTunes running. Otherwise there's no way to do what you want.

eythandamico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
I can't believe I didn't think about that, thank you!
The only problem then is that while my external drive is disconnected the songs will still be listed in the library and when I have it on shuffle it will show the song doesn't exist and slow down the process of shuffling. Do you think there is a way to hide those songs while the external is disconnected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.