Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:19 PM   #1
switchedanhappy
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to switchedanhappy
is this ram good for a G5? (kingston) (dual 2 ghz)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=80098-22
sry if this is a dumb question, but buying stuff that doesn't work sucks. (by all conventional means, this ram should work in my G5, but all products have their quirks and I guess that it can't be avoided, but I'll rest easier with another persons opinion.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:29 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

It's a different part number than Kingston's number for dual-2 G5 RAM (although Kingston separates the old and new dual-2.0s, the same part number shows up for each).

As a result, esp. since it's so much cheaper (half the price - often not a good sign), I'd say it's risky. Crucial has them cheaper - but beware, Crucial will give you a different price depending on browser and cookie settings. You should be able to get 1 GB for under $200 (< $100 per 512MB stick; the most variable price is on the 512MB sticks, BTW). And Crucial is reputable.

Edit: Here is the thread discussing Crucial's pricing....

Last edited by jsw; Aug 14, 2004 at 05:31 PM.
jsw is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2004, 08:10 PM   #3
numark
macrumors member

Newegg usually has cheaper prices on most brands of RAM, and you don't have to worry about the random pricing thing. Plus, you don't have to limit yourself to just one type of RAM. I've heard good things about the Corsair, Geil, and OCZ RAM as well, and you can sometimes get better timings in those brands while still getting high-quality RAM. I also know that they have pretty fair prices on Samsung OEM, which is the same type as what Apple OEM uses.
numark is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews