Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I just bought a 2TB Time Capsule. Everything seems to be working fine, and I am currently transferring the content of 3 house macs.
Since I´ve read a few worrying reports, I wonder if I should take better care and buy yet another back up solution?
I should add that I do plan to use it as a external harddisk device as well, not only as mirror for mac content.

P

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
It's been my luck...not with just Apple products, that ANY external drive for me needs a replacement after about 2 years, so I would think about getting another backup device in about 18 months or so. By then, they will be 2-3 times as large and likely half as expensive.

18 months from now, I would assume we could pick up 2TB drives for under $100....and the upper limit will be 4 or 8 TB!!

So, if you look at it as an endless upgrade cycle, which by the nature of the mechanism and particles on the plattens it is, it's not horrible (to me at least) to have to replace a backup drive after 18-24 months.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
So, if you look at it as an endless upgrade cycle, which by the nature of the mechanism and particles on the plattens it is, it's not horrible (to me at least) to have to replace a backup drive after 18-24 months.

Thanks. It seems your argument is economically based.
I´m thinking pure safety and reliability here. Will it keep my stuff safe?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009

OK...let's say it fails.

What are the chances that both your Time Capsule AND your internal drive fail at the same time? Probably pretty small assuming you have them well protected from power fluctuations. And a fire or other natural disaster would take out both drives anyway so you'd be in trouble in those situations even if the TC would have lasted decades.

So, given the very small chance that both drives fail...

When one of the drives fail, just head to the store and buy a new backup drive or new internal and pull your data back over.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
And if an ultimate backup is your goal, do monthly backups on another drive that you store offsite, like in a drawer at work or in a safe deposit box.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

If you're using it purely for a back up device, then the likely hood of the TC dying at the same time as your Mac dies is small. However, if you're backing up 3 macs, the likelyhood increases 3x, but it's still probably unlikely.

But if you do use it as an external drive for files, make sure that those files are backed up elsewhere (DVDs, miniDV tapes, cloud storage, etc).

If you can still return it, you might want to consider an AEBS plus and external HDD. I personally like to separate components in that all-in-one devices will tie up one component if another component dies. If the router portion of the TC dies, you may not have access to your files. If you had the same situation with an AEBS/extHDD set-up, you just plug the HDD to your Mac and you're golden. No need to rush out to get a new router.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I just picked up a 2TB latest edition.
it replaced the 500GB original Dual-band i had and i notice a way faster increase of file transfer between the mac & timecapsule. i have my itunes library on there and it plays back quicker than before.

i noticed an improved signal strength and a bitmore solid connection.

Im backing up two Macs and distributing a music & movie itunes library

so far im satisfied with it

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Im backing up two Macs and distributing a music & movie itunes library

So....

where is your iTunes Library being backed-up?

It's foolish to have this as a backup for everything, yet also host iTunes music and videos from it. If it dies...what happens to your media? Time Capsule should serve purely as a back-up drive.

Host your iTunes from an external connected to your main computer...or just keep it on your main internal drive. You can still share iTunes to any Apple product in the house that way, it doesn't have to reside on the Time Capsule. I share my library with AppleTV and my wife's MacBook from my Mini.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
So....

where is your iTunes Library being backed-up?

It's foolish to have this as a backup for everything, yet also host iTunes music and videos from it. If it dies...what happens to your media? Time Capsule should serve purely as a back-up drive.

Host your iTunes from an external connected to your main computer...or just keep it on your main internal drive. You can still share iTunes to any Apple product in the house that way, it doesn't have to reside on the Time Capsule. I share my library with AppleTV and my wife's MacBook from my Mini.

Lol well, I have my Music, Movie and multimedia library backed up on 4 other harddrives 2 on site and 2 off site.
The TimeCapsule serves as a simple intermittent back up, while also playing host to my library.
I then have my systems backed up as well in the same scheme.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
The system that I have is that I have TM backup at my house. Then when I go visit the in-laws they have TM backup there too where my MacBook Pro backs up to as wee. That way if there was a fire at my house I still have a backup at my folks. When my in-laws come to my home they back up using TM here too.

Only reason for this is I don't know what I would do it our home videos and picture were lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.