Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:12 PM   #1
toolbox101
macrumors newbie

reversing default "Secure Empty Trash"

It seems like every time I go to empty the trash my mac likes to default to "secure empty trash" which is usually fine but sometimes I'd really like to just plain "empty trash." I was wondering if anyone knows a way to change this? I looked in system preferences but I couldn't seem to find an appropriate setting (then again I could just be oblivious). Thanks!

I have a 17" MBP from 2008 with 10.6.2 installed.
toolbox101 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
BobZune
macrumors 6502a

Under the Finder -- Preferences -- Advanced, uncheck the "Empty Trash Securely."
BobZune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
MacForMeOneDay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZune View Post
Under the Finder -- Preferences -- Advanced, uncheck the "Empty Trash Securely."
If you like Secure Empty for the majority of the time, but on occasion just want to do a quick delete, you can also do the following:
Right Click on the Trash Icon You should see Securely Empty Trash. (Actually mine says "Secur...rash")
If you push the Command key, it should change to just Empty Trash
MacForMeOneDay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
toolbox101
macrumors newbie

Sorry. To be more clear:

When I control+click on the trash can the option says "empty trash" but once I select it a small window pops up with options to either "secure empty trash" or "cancel." Just for the hell of it I tried to control+click and then use command to toggle to "secure empty trash" but once I selected "secure empty trash" it still presented the same options (which I realize is a sort of "well duh" moment, but I thought telling you what I tried my help further diagnose the problem).

I also looked in System Preferences in the finder and was unable to locate advanced preferences or settings.

Thanks again for your help!
toolbox101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
MacForMeOneDay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox101 View Post
Sorry. To be more clear:

When I control+click on the trash can the option says "empty trash" but once I select it a small window pops up with options to either "secure empty trash" or "cancel." Just for the hell of it I tried to control+click and then use command to toggle to "secure empty trash" but once I selected "secure empty trash" it still presented the same options (which I realize is a sort of "well duh" moment, but I thought telling you what I tried my help further diagnose the problem).

I also looked in System Preferences in the finder and was unable to locate advanced preferences or settings.

Thanks again for your help!
So it appears that your Finder default is set to "Securely Empty Trash", which apparently will Securely empty the trash whether or not it says Empty Trash or Securely Empty Trash on the Dock when you control click.

The Preference is a Finder Preference, not a System Preference. Open a Finder Window, Look at the Menu Bar and Choose Finder -> Preferences then select the Advanced tab.

You should see the Empty Trash Securely option selected. Unselect it. Then you can use the Command option to securely empty.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:56 PM   #6
toolbox101
macrumors newbie

Excellent. It worked. Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry that I didn't realize the difference myself.
toolbox101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
MacForMeOneDay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox101 View Post
Excellent. It worked. Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry that I didn't realize the difference myself.
Actually I would classify this as a GUI bug or inconsistency at least.
When the default is set to Secure, then the Dock should say Securely Empty Trash and the Command key should toggle it to just "Empty Trash"

I guess it depends on which setting is considered to take precedence. Which I too just found out that the Preferences does. I too didn't notice, but because I had my default "unchecked". So the toggle actually worked as expected.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:40 AM   #8
merryn
macrumors newbie

question

Hi, i do not have the option to remove the setting "secure empty trash"
can anyone suggest how i can remove this setting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	51
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	321147  
merryn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryn View Post
Hi, i do not have the option to remove the setting "secure empty trash"
can anyone suggest how i can remove this setting?
This option is only available on Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" and newer. Your version of Mac OS X looks like Mac OS X 10.2.x "Jaguar".

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X