Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davevirro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Hey Guys,

First post here, hope you can help me out.

1st off - I am trying to find a way to sync Apple TV w/o needing to have files on Computer HD (External HD is an option) - Here is the problem I am constantly updating my Apple TV with new movies and I have read around and saw that if you do the command drag (running MacBook), you can somehow update these files when external HD is connected... If I sync after that, will I lose my files? (Link to explanation of how to do this will be okay as well)

2nd - I want to make all of my movie files look like the digital downloads - PG, G, PG-13, R, AA etc. on my AppleTV so that it looks like I have them all digital downloads (Information, director, description, etc.) I have fooled around with the info pane (cmd-I in iTunes) and I have tried to update director, genre, artwork, etc. The only thing that has come up properly on the Apple TV is the artwork... Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am particularily anal about any information on my computer and it's organization :rolleyes:. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Regards and glad to be a part of the forum.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
1) I don't sync anything to ATV...I stream it all, from my Mini with the entire iTunes Library on an external FW HD.

2) I don't know why you are having trouble with this. I have made changes by going into the Get-Info panel and have been successful. I have used to DVD-rip[ping tutorial at the top of this AppleTV forum and there is a really nice script to rename movies to the proper format AND pull all of the info automatically from an external website. This is done before the encoding though, so I don't think it would work on already processed movies though...but I am not sure

Long-windedly I did indeed make changes to one movie that wasn't in the database and I had no issues making those adjustments to the file. I don't know what your problem might be. AppleTV did indeed show my changes.

Again, I don't sync but stream...so maybe you have old info synced to the ATV and it doesn't update readily?

davevirro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
ncsimmons03 - Tried it tonight. It corrupted my file and I can't load it to the appleTV nemore. But it was definitely what I was trying to do - even with the ratings and everything - it really got me excited (only to be let down unfortunately)... No big deal though, I'm still searching for an answer.

mstrze - I wish i had the $ to do that. Cause if i could, I would. I just have my macbook and my girlfriend's macbook pro - might have to make the mac mini investment in the near future. When i first got it and played around with it, that is how i pictured my media centre to be set up (itunes, iphone, mac mini, appletv... god it all works so well together - which is one of the best parts about apple products).

I went to the apple retail store today to ask them about another problem that I had with my computer - and I asked the guy after they fixed my battery how to do #2 - He didn't know - said he would email me a response when he took his "study break" that i guess apple employees get... nothing yet... so patiently waiting... I would love if someone actually came out with a program similar to metax that worked...

Still looking for answers for both of the questions pls...

ncsimmons03

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
ncsimmons03 - Tried it tonight. It corrupted my file and I can't load it to the appleTV nemore. But it was definitely what I was trying to do - even with the ratings and everything - it really got me excited (only to be let down unfortunately)... No big deal though, I'm still searching for an answer.

Still looking for answers for both of the questions pls...

I have been using MetaX tonight because I just recently found it. I had to update it after I installed it but it has worked great. How were you getting these movies onto your computer? I've been bringing mine in through handbrake and then changing the info with metaX and it's worked great since I started. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm running Snow Leopard on my MBP. Hope you can get it figured out.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Try a program called MetaX.

Edit... meant for the second part of your original post anyway

MetaX for Mac is no longer being supported by the developer (didn't know if you're using Mac or PC) so if you like the lookup feature of the program, you likely won't find any newer films.

Another program that I use as an alternative to MetaX is Vidalin. It only populates fields viewable on the Apple TV and is super simple to use.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I've been using iFlicks to automatically add the metadata to my files.

davevirro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Wow,

This is a really helpful forum... considering this is my first post, I am really impressed with the amount of help that I am receiving. Thanks in advance to everyone. I have tried Vidalin and MetaX now.

Vidalin - No luck - same thing with MetaX - Says that the file has been converted, but nothing changes - at least with Vidalin, I didn't lose the movie (I disregarded the backup your file warning oops!:rolleyes:)

Right now I am converting using iFlick - you have to purchase it within 15 days I noticed, but if it works, I am definitely looking to purchase it - because it will solve my problem. Just waiting for the convert will let you guys know in 45 minutes what the outcome is.

Thanks again for all your help - still awaiting answer for question 1. There are some of my movies that are ~1.2 gigs and that takes up a lot more on my MacBook than I would like...

Also, I am using Handbrake to convert - god that program is amazing - and then for DVD conversions, I am using mediafork - another great program, just takes a long time to grab and convert DVDs.

Thanks again for all of your help people.

*Edit: Just used iFlicks - WORKS PERFECTLY - Even tags the movies in iTunes... Oh man, now I have a bit of fooling around to do...

Thx again guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.