Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Announcements are continuing in full force at CES today, with a number of Apple competitors showing off new gadgets looking to set the bar for technology in 2010.

155557-palm_pre_plus.jpg

Palm today unveiled several new products and initiatives, including the new Pre Plus and Pixi Plus, both destined for Verizon later this month. The Palm Pre Plus bumps storage to 16 GB from the 8 GB found in the original Pre and includes a Touchstone-compatible back cover to allow for wireless induction charging. The Palm Pixi Plus gains Wi-Fi capabilities, as well as multiple colors of Touchstone charging covers.

Both phones will be compatible with Palm's new mobile hotspot application, which allows users to set up mobile Wi-Fi networks using Verizon's 3G data services. Engadget and Gizmodo have both offered hands-on impressions of the new devices.

In addition to the hardware, Palm also announced the coming availability of a number of 3D games from such vendors as EA and Gameloft. Finally, Palm opened up its webOS developer program to all interested parties, and announced a $1 million "Hot Apps" prize pool for developers of the most successful applications.

155557-dell_slate_concept.jpg

Dell today also showed off its prototype 5-inch slate, an Android-based device offering a 5-megapixel camera and an apparent SIM card slot. Dell representatives have refused, however, to offer additional information on the device to this point.

Article Link: CES: Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus, Dell 5-Inch Tablet Prototype

Shodan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Oh for christ sake Dell.

Apple rumors of creating a tablet - so Dell jump onto the bandwagon too.

Unoriginality shouldn't be allowed.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
This new Palm looks better than that HTC-built device that Google is introducing. I'll give them that.

As for the Dell slate; I'm not a fan. It's a bit too round for my taste.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Nice announcements from Palm!

-The Mobile Hotspot app is REALLY COOL!
-Big gaming push.
-Nice PDK.
-Cool ways of incentivizing good apps with rewards.
-Adding video recording with editing to all phones with software update.
-Decent hardware refinements.

Let it hereby be known that I am NOT an Apple fanboy! :D Palm did some cool things, and I will give them credit for that! Web OS is nice.

Now Dell and that slate on the other hand lol! :rolleyes:

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
dell slate is just the axim in a modern sexier package with a better OS

I might bite seeing how it has a camera and my touch doesn't.

edit: oh it's a phone? nevermind don't want it.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I wonder how MS is going to react to Dell using a different operating systems?

until microsoft gets back on in the game and releases windows mobile 7, what can they say? even they admit 6.5 just isn't there yet

alexk82

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
East Coast
nothing impressive yet

plam... so far plus nothing, pretty boring upgrade.

need more info on the dell though looks pretty :) though

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Why do we have Palm and Dell news on the front page?

Because they are both direct competitors to Apple's iPhone and upcoming tablet...

And the Palm is supposed to have improved the sliding mechanism which was one of the biggest problems and improved the keyboard. Web OS looks good. That being said I can't wait to see what Apple does to "WOW" us.

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
"Dell representatives have refused, however, to offer additional information on the device to this point."

Seems about right. Nobody wants to say anything about their "slates" until they see what Apple does. Then they can delay it until 2011 and say, "oh yea, we can do that too."

Can anyone here imagine what would have happened if Jobs came out and showed an iPhone and said, "This is the iPhone. It's revolutionary. And I can't tell you anything about it."

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
"Dell representatives have refused, however, to offer additional information on the device to this point."

Seems about right. Nobody wants to say anything about their "slates" until they see what Apple does. Then they can delay it until 2011 and say, "oh yea, we can do that too."

Or maybe they're under contract with content providers :rolleyes:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
You are correct

Nice announcements from Palm!

-The Mobile Hotspot app is REALLY COOL!
-Big gaming push.
-Nice PDK.
-Cool ways of incentivizing good apps with rewards.
-Adding video recording with editing to all phones with software update.
-Decent hardware refinements.

Let it hereby be known that I am NOT an Apple fanboy! :D Palm did some cool things, and I will give them credit for that! Web OS is nice.

Now Dell and that slate on the other hand lol! :rolleyes:

The Palm announcement today was impressive and answered a lot of criticism I had of the webOS platform. However, I still insist that this has been working well for a year with it given to a short list.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
So Palm has done a good ob of trying to catch up with the iPhone. Unfortunately, Apple is still ahead in my estimation and are no doubt hard at work on the next iPhone iteration. Guess they will stay ahead for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.