Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldmember

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
i haven't got anything against amazon. They have a great selection, and at times some great deals. Plus they're very close w/apple because cupertino licenses the one-click ordering technology.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Amazon, surprisingly, has some decent deals now and then. I bought a cell phone from them and I got a $200 phone for free. Can't beat free.

However, their orders tend to take longer to process and arrive.

Anyway you cut it, $50 off is good news for those of us who were disappointed by Apple's pricing. Also, it means Apple is becoming more mainstream.

Galahad

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2001
What I find most interesting about this offer is that Amazon can do it and still turn a profit. This means that Apple is giving their dealers a significant margin. I can't understand why Apple would do that: leaving the dealers to drastically cut prices, making them seem like the good guys and Apple being the jerk. Not only that, but buying the software from Amazon instead of Apple (as many will do at this price) only sends roughly $65 to Apple instead of $130. Weird.

Or maybe Amazon is selling it at a loss to get more customers.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
That's a great edu discount you guys get in the states. In Australia (AUD) Jag is $229, student price is $183, which isn't much of a discount.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Wahooo!!!

WAHOOO! $50 bucks, is $50 bucks.

For me it's even more, because I can save on the taxes too, going through Amazon AND Amazon is offering FREE SHIPPING on anything over $49.

Me likes!!! :D

I was going to buy Jaguar anyway, but now it seems a little sweeter... hmmmm.

Take Care,
Quark

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Originally posted by Galahad
What I find most interesting about this offer is that Amazon can do it and still turn a profit. This means that Apple is giving their dealers a significant margin.

As an independent software vendor ("somewhat" smaller than Amazon) I can assure you that this is not the case. Either Amazon has a very bold volume pricing deal with Apple, or they are, as you say, selling at a loss.

durandal

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
getting there...

Well then, maybe this is getting closer to an upgrade price...granted, we do get some extra apps I will probabaly never use...but anyways, I just might buy it from Amazon.
I dont think Amazon would sell at a loss, but a very tiny profit. But since they know 99% of the MacosX using population in extremely pissed at apple for charging $130 for an upgrade they will probably sell tons.

By the way, does "amazon sponsor link" mean that Amazon paid MacRumors to display this news?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: getting there...

Originally posted by durandal

By the way, does "amazon sponsor link" mean that Amazon paid MacRumors to display this news?

no, simply means it's an affiliate link to Amazon. (affiliate links are links in which the refering site gets a referal fee for purchases made)

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
They have quite a few rebates, its pretty cool. Photoshop 7 Upgrade for Mac also gets $50 off - they have to be selling this for a loss - its hard to believe that they would get a discount from the software manufacterers - Adobe, Apple, Microsoft....

And all the rebates are handles through a third party http://www.rebatestatus.com

D

pbailey

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2002
Iowa
They must be getting a kick back from someone. I work at a company that is an Authorized Apple VAR in the states and our dealer cost on Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar is $117.29 with an S.R.P. from Apple at $129.00.

barren

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, Tx
Also pleasenote that the rebate only starts on July 29, so don't buy till tomorrow. Also have a $40 rebate on Photoshop elements 2, which brings it to $50 AR.

Amazon also pricematches now so if they match that $119 price and you use a $5 off $35 coupon at Amazon it will be less than edu price.

sassafras

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Shelton, WA
I just ordered Adobe Photoshop 7.0 from Amazon--a great deal plus free shipping! It is interesting to view Amazon's list of their 25 top-selling computers in their computer store. Though they don't sell Dull or Gateway computers, it does give you an idea how they are faring against Sony, etc.. Currently Apple's laptops are doing well--I assume it is because of the back-to-school rush.

A good sign: my 18 year-old nephew, a confirmed Apple-hater for several years (who once told me that the original iBooks were "garbage"), told me yesterday that his next computer was probably going to be a Mac. The first Apple product that captured his imagination was an iPod that his high school computer teacher had. Cool.

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Re: Carefull

Originally posted by MhzDoesMatter
Some one over there on the MacNN forum also said that they've yet to receive previous software rebates from Amazon. For some reason, I'm already skeptical over this rebate anyway.

I'm likewise skeptical - I won't buy until I see the coupon linked from the actual Jaguar page, and even then I've had one too many experiences of ordering from Amazon with next-day delivery just to have my order listed as "shipping soon" until 3 days after the product was supposed to be released. Amazon used to be great - order it and stuff would ship within hours. Nowadays it appears that UPS sends around a cart pulled by mules twice a week to pick stuff up. Amazon's developed this quaint notion that an order is shipped once they send the order pickup information in to UPS, even if UPS don't actually take it off their hands for several days.

However, I've never failed to get a rebate through them. They make take forever, but they arrive - I got $30 off Toast when I ordered it in February. It was July before I received the rebate check (which had a "Void after 31st July" notice on it) but I did get it.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
I don't know how many other people here are going off to college but i'm going to U of Iowa and they have an agreement with apple where students get a lot of software for a price around the $10 range. So if theres anyone thats going to college or knows someone thats going i thinks it definitely worth checking out. I'm sure apple has this deal with many other universities.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
This seems great.....

How does this work? I cant find it on the Amazon site - just 10.1 (which also has a discount).

here in the frozen north (85º today in Vancouver) the actual cost of OSX 10.2 is as follows: $195 plus provincial tax at 7.5% and Federal tax at 7%.
Total: $223.27 CAD

Quite expensive for an upgrade. Of course, I have already been offered a pirate copy from a friend for free......

Anyway, how does one actually order this thing from Amazon?
I dont have the rebate coupon.

BTW - 10.1.5 is running perfectly on my Tibook - I dont actually need this upgrade........(ooh, heresy!)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Amazon has one of the most appalling privacy policies in the business. Be sure to give them a Yahoo or Hotmail address or something - don't give them your primary address unless you love getting spam.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Amazon probably can do this for two reasons.

1) They receive income from Apple for the one-click license, so it isn't a full 50 dollar 'loss' for them.

2) Amazon feels their software and computer distribution sales arm needs a boost- it helps them deal better with at least one of the distributors they have to deal with, that might be increasingly be looking for reasons to drop Amazon as a customer as they become owned by competitors that wish Amazon didn't even exist.

Did Drugstore.com die? I probably have a couple of hundred dollars worth of coupons for them from Amazon.

BigBurd

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
The Beautiful Berkshires
Are you sure?

I checked the amazon.com web site and could not find anything about a $50.00 discount. In fact, I even did a search of the site for software discounts, and discovered that they are discounting OS 10.1 TO $100.00!

The only thing that I could find that resembled a discount was this message, at the bottom of the Jaguar page: "Write the first review of this item. Earn a chance to win a $50 gift certificate. "

Someone please let me know if I am wrong, because I would really like to get 10.2 for $79.00!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.