Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:01 PM   #1
criana
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to criana Send a message via Yahoo to criana Send a message via Skype™ to criana
QuickSilver - How do you use it?

I just downloaded QuickSilver. It was recommended by several users.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

I have no clue how to use this program or how to set it up even. Any users out there, if you can post some screen shots or explain how to use it that would be great!

TIA!!
iPhone 4GB and Bluetooth headset
criana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:29 PM   #2
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/doc...ickstart+Guide

Try that for size, didn't take too much work, just click on documentation on the QS site.
Wes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:52 PM   #3
blvdeast
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to blvdeast
I use it for everything. To start an IM conversation, to pull up people's info from the address book, to control iTunes (browse songs, play, pause...), launch programs, open saved files, browse/view photos, browse folders, everything. The only thing it doesn't do is let me browse my mailboxes. Once thats in, it will be the most perfect program I have. I think the default way to start Quicksilver is Command+Space
blvdeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
I used QS a long while back before switching to LaunchBar and now using QS again it seems to have developed a lot. Looks very promising, definitely a keeper!
Wes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 06:25 PM   #5
criana
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to criana Send a message via Yahoo to criana Send a message via Skype™ to criana
More questions

Wes,
Thanks for the link. I was there earlier, and was trying to understand it. It makes a little more sense now. I've been playing around with it a bit.

blvdeast,
How do you get it to open IMs? I also loaded a bunch of plug-ins, and I can't seem to get them to work. Like the Dict one.

Here's a screen shot of my prefs for the plugins, any ideas, did I load them wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	16145  
iPhone 4GB and Bluetooth headset
criana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 06:39 PM   #6
knicksfan58
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to knicksfan58
how do you control itunes using quicksilver?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:33 AM   #7
howard
macrumors 68020

i'm still learning too...but

to use the dictionary, press ctrl space or cmnd space whatever brings up qs.. then press "." and type in the word you want to define... then press tab... then press down arrow until you reach where it says "define" ...to set that as the default action rightclick on the little circle to the left of it.

i'm writing this blind, i hope that was all correct.

as far as controling itunes, i'm not quite sure, but i found the above info and a lot more on there forums which are handy

i think in future updates the plugins will include instructions..hopefully
howard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:55 AM   #8
blvdeast
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to blvdeast
i have my IM buddies in my address book. So if I want to talk to Susan, and Susan is in my address book, I bring up QS, type Susan and it will first show her address card and buddy icon (scroll to the buddy icon), but i press space and the middle square shows "IM text..." and the last square you type your message. But it have to make sure you select the person's buddy icon, not their address card. It it easier then it sounds.

For iTunes, type browse, it will come up with Browse artist, albums, generes, and composers. If I want to hear Money from Pink Floyd, I can either press the right arrow on artist, scroll to Pink Floyd, then scroll to Dark Side of The Moon,press the right arrow then scroll to Money and press enter. Or you do the same stuff, but start with Browse Albums. You could type play, pause, next song, previous song to control the song. Just try it, its really easy when you get the hang of it. The best advice is don't be afraid to press the right arrow at everything and seeing what happens. Thats how I learned to browse my pics in iPhoto
blvdeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:06 AM   #9
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksfan58
how do you control itunes using quicksilver?
First of all you need to have the itunes module installed, after that you just type in itunes, use right arrow and take it from there!
munkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store