Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rth231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I want to create a full screen slideshow of my pictures (from the finder). Coverflow won't do full screen, and Quick Look doesn't work well. If I go full screen I can't skip to the next picture.

I can highlight multiple pictures then open Quick Look to be able to scroll to scroll through them, but it's long and tedious. Say I want to just make a slideshow from a folder of pictures without having to highlight everything and open Quick Look, is there a quick way to do this?

I thought of using Front Row (I had never tried it before), but it's telling me Pictures (0) when I have lots of folders and pictures in my home folder. Does Front Row only use pictures imported in iPhoto (which I don't use?)

EDIT: In Front Row, when I click on "Sources", it brings me to "Alex's MacBook" (the name of my computer) but I can't go anywhere from there or even change it, if I click it goes back to the menu.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

124c41

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
from cvrflw go 2 edit click select all , click on 1st photo in cvrflw small window 'should' open , go 2 taskbar, find slideshow , click slideshow and fullscreen window 'should' open , you can choose fullscreen from window , press start icon on left ... press mute to kill crappy annoying muzac in background , enjoy...

iBlob

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
UK
Well couldn't you just highlight all the photos then click spacebar. Then click the full screen button then it will automatically start a sildeshow.

If you don't want to do this then you can either use keynote, frontrow or iPhoto (although their are many others).

124c41

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Well couldn't you just highlight all the photos then click spacebar. Then click the full screen button then it will automatically start a sildeshow.

If you don't want to do this then you can either use keynote, frontrow or iPhoto (although their are many others).
you can actually do this ? ive got a friend who will be in hog heaven, thanks...

rth231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Here's a video I found that explains 10 different ways to create slideshows (although some are more just ways to view photos).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMJPjwy2Puw

I'm looking for something like the my photo's screensaver... I know you can import the pictures to iPhoto and create slideshows, but thats not convenient, plus, I don't like iPhoto (how you can't access your pictures easily, ...)

If selecting individual photos then opening Quick Look is the best way, I hate to say this, but Windows 7 has a better implementation for viewing (and printing) pictures.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I don't know if this has been changed in OS X 10.5 or 10.6, but in 10.4 from Finder you can select the pictures you what to use and then right mouse or control click on them and choose Slideshow from the contextual menu. Use the on screen controls (or the arrow keys) to skip pictures or just let it run automatically.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If you're not averse to third party utilities, you can try Xee:

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html

It's a very very basic slideshow function, but I like Xee for its FAST image viewing and manipulation (basic stuff only) and primarily its ability to scan through entire folders of images. It's clearly inspired from ACDSee, if you ever used that on the PC.

Wheaty

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Cheshire, UK
While you on the subjet...

I tend to select all (cmd+a) and press space to view mine, or the little eye symbol.

I quite like the index sheet view, because I can see several variations of the same picture at once before picking ut the best for editing, printing etc etc, where as cover flow I find better for browsing generally...

I thought at one stage I was able to select and open the piccies with a program of my choice, rather than iphoto, which I'm not keen on (purely because it hogs all the piccies).. So am I imagining things, or have a I just changed the way I view my files all of a sudden and I'm too dopey to notice?

just for reference, I have now got a proper mac keyboard not a PC one, so could it just be I'm not using the right key combinations anymore?

Cheers

Wheaty

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
When I want to look at a slideshow of my photos, I drag the folder with the photos into Preview, and then click the play icon (show - slideshow) and it show a slideshow of those photos in full screen.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I thought at one stage I was able to select and open the piccies with a program of my choice, rather than iphoto, which I'm not keen on (purely because it hogs all the piccies).. So am I imagining things, or have a I just changed the way I view my files all of a sudden and I'm too dopey to notice?

Select a picture and hit cmd-I or "Get Info" in the File menu. It should give you an option to choose which application to open the file with. By default this selection only affects that one file, but there will be a checkbox to always use that application to open this type of file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.