Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Hi folks,

I made the mistake of not buying the airport extreeme N wireless card when I configured my Mac Pro. Now that I want one, I can't find it. I can't find it in the US online store, I went to a couple of Apple stores here in Hong Kong, including an authorized service provider, they all said I must purchase the card with the Mac Pro.

Am I screwed?

Thanks for your inputs!

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
You have plenty of available card slots (pci-e) so you can buy any card and use it.. but I remember seeing the Airport Extreme (if you must have that) on Amazon.com (just do a search)

BTW - How is it to work with a dual monitors of different sizes on your Mac Pro?

Hi folks,

I made the mistake of not buying the airport extreeme N wireless card when I configured my Mac Pro. Now that I want one, I can't find it. I can't find it in the US online store, I went to a couple of Apple stores here in Hong Kong, including an authorized service provider, they all said I must purchase the card with the Mac Pro.

Am I screwed?

Thanks for your inputs!

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Got mine of ebay in the end, found it a bit difficult to install but was okay in the end. Didnt come with instructions but you can find these on the internet.

Also, dont buy a usb stick, found them very unreliable.

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
I got a G5 second hand without the card as well. I looked everywhere. Started with the Apple service centre in Mong Kok, then what seemed like every apple store from Sai Yeung Choi street to Causeway bay - No luck (This was my first reality shock with apple not keeping any stock of such parts - the G5 isn't that old is it :eek: I mean, what if you had bought this in the first place with the machine and it failed after the warranty period - you can't get a replacement??). I tried getting one off ebay, it was advertised as being fully G5 compliant, I even double checked with the seller before buying and he said "no worries!" - but it didn't work (completely wrong card).

I ended up getting a USB one. It's not as tidy as the internal card and while I don't use the machine a lot my self, whenever I do connect to the internet, I don't have any problems.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXP802NU2C/

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Ebay

I am looking on ebay right now for one myself for a 2008 model and they have quite a few for only 60-70 USD. I would recommend Ebay but IWC is also good if you can find a good price.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input, you folks are greatly appreciated! It is just funny I can't find this part anywhere in Hong Kong, not even the online HK or US apple store!

I will look for one on ebay that ships overseas.

Thank you all again!

So I was looking at this one, it shares the same model number as the B&H link above, this will work I am guessing? I don't mind that it is used, as long as it works, and the seller seems quite reputable, plus the seller is in Canton, quite close to Hong Kong.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Airport-E...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33564ec24b

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple has made several variations. Make sure you get the one made for your model. They all look the same, same form factor, etc., but they have different firmware. The new ones are backwards compatible but the old ones are not forward compatible.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
According to Apple, the Airport card is not user installable. That is why you won't find it in the Apple store.

Not 100% true. It may not be a "user installable" part but my local Apple Store sold me one, no prob. It was $50 IIRC.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I got a G5 second hand without the card as well. I looked everywhere. Started with the Apple service centre in Mong Kok, then what seemed like every apple store from Sai Yeung Choi street to Causeway bay - No luck (This was my first reality shock with apple not keeping any stock of such parts - the G5 isn't that old is it :eek: I mean, what if you had bought this in the first place with the machine and it failed after the warranty period - you can't get a replacement??). I tried getting one off ebay, it was advertised as being fully G5 compliant, I even double checked with the seller before buying and he said "no worries!" - but it didn't work (completely wrong card).

I ended up getting a USB one. It's not as tidy as the internal card and while I don't use the machine a lot my self, whenever I do connect to the internet, I don't have any problems.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MXP802NU2C/

There were to variations to the G5. The pre-05 models used the normal Airport Extreme(A1026) card while the late 05(dual-core) models used an Airport Extreme/Bluetooth combo(A1127) cards but also required an extra "riser" card that it had to be attached in order for it to work.

They were/are not "user" serviceable because of the tiny fragile antenna cables that need to be attached to the card. It's not as easy to some people like adding more memory or hard drive.

Like already mentioned, check ebay as there are many powersellers that ship overseas.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Apple has made several variations. Make sure you get the one made for your model. They all look the same, same form factor, etc., but they have different firmware. The new ones are backwards compatible but the old ones are not forward compatible.

Ah, gotcha, I better get the one from B&H to avoid headaches, I rather spend the extra cash then to regret buying an incompatible card. Thanks guys. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.