Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Errk!
macrumors 6502

Money management/"checkbook" balancing app?

My wife and I have used Microsoft Money for a few years to balance our "checkbook" (I use quotes because we rarely write checks but mostly use debit cards).

It would be nice if there was an app where we could put in purchases and have it keep track and break things down like Money does. But it would need to sync with a server or something because we both have iPhones and would both be entering items using the phones. A web interface would be nice too.

Does such a beast exist? I'm not even sure how to search for one because I don't know if I have the terminology right.
Errk! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Gokunama
macrumors 6502a

Check out HomeBudget with sync, it might be what you're looking for.
Gokunama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
LostLogik
macrumors 6502a

I use iBank, which syncs very nicely with the desktop version.
LostLogik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Errk!
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokunama View Post
Check out HomeBudget with sync, it might be what you're looking for.
That looks good and the reviews are good, but I was kind of hoping for something that sync'd in a central location and used the iPhone for a sort of mobile interface. I'm a little uneasy having the information stored on the phone and would really really prefer something that would give me a web interface.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5
srvivr
macrumors newbie

Being one who also uses Money (and upset it has been discontinued), I've found the best solution for me is Quicken. It does pretty much everything Money does, it is web-based so you can access your info anytime, anywhere. The app syncs when you open it (but just once a day). Hope that helps.
srvivr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Errk!
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivr View Post
Being one who also uses Money (and upset it has been discontinued), I've found the best solution for me is Quicken. It does pretty much everything Money does, it is web-based so you can access your info anytime, anywhere. The app syncs when you open it (but just once a day). Hope that helps.
Does Quicken's web-based interface (NOT the iPhone app) allow you reconcile transactions? Mint.com does not and that's a dealbreaker for me. It's the one redeeming feature of Money.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
srvivr
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately no. Money was very useful indeed with that. In all honesty, I still use Money for my at-home financial management since Microsoft still supports the software sync with my accounts. I just use the Quicken app to get the account information when I need it on my phone or for adding transactions which is useful. You can also download daily, weekly, or monthly transactions to your computer as a .csv (which I then plan to upload to Money, since only the online portion of the software will not work). Hope this clears things up.
srvivr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:52 PM   #8
Errk!
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivr View Post
Unfortunately no. Money was very useful indeed with that. In all honesty, I still use Money for my at-home financial management since Microsoft still supports the software sync with my accounts. I just use the Quicken app to get the account information when I need it on my phone or for adding transactions which is useful. You can also download daily, weekly, or monthly transactions to your computer as a .csv (which I then plan to upload to Money, since only the online portion of the software will not work). Hope this clears things up.
It does - thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps