Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QES

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
I am new to using Macs.

I have read various posts but none of them cover my problem exactly.

My situation is that the Lacie d2 hard drive was originally connected to and formatted as a windows xp device. I need it to work exclusively on an eMac PowerPC G4 running OS X 10.3.

I have tried using Disk utility to re-partician the drive (it was the only option that I could run) but it hangs soon after starting. I used the originally selected format of Mac OS Extended (Journal). I'm not sure what the difference is between "Journal" and not journaled.

I left the box ticked for installing Mac OS 9 disk drivers.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

QES

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Try opening disk utility and select your Lacie external hard drive. Click erase and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type in a name for the disk and then click erase.

This should reformat your disk.

Journaling is a technique that helps protects the integrity of Mac OS Extended file systems on Mac OS volumes, basically keeps it fine and dandy!

Hope this helps :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
QES said:
I have tried using Disk utility to re-partician the drive (it was the only option that I could run) but it hangs soon after starting.
Uh-oh... I remember reformatting one of our three OWC Neptune Ext. Hard Drives and having that happen. It had to be replaced.

That hanging shouldn't last more than two minutes, even for real big drives. Like, partitioning a 160GB Ext. device takes maybe 5 seconds. Did you have zero all data or 8-way active? Because either of those two will delay the partitioning by a few hours.

QES

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks. Have tried what you suggest without success.

Using the Disk Utility, I now get the following error message:

Error starting disk utility background process.
Disk utility started, but a process needed in Disk Utility didn't start properly. Please quit and try Disk Utility again.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

QES

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Do you have any third-party disk utilities? If so, try running a diagnostic on the drive.

Also, can you access and use the drive in the Finder? If Disk Utility can see it the Finder should be able to use it, too, since Windows formats are supported on the Mac.

Journaling is a good thing to turn on. Basically, before a file transfer, the disk controller writes a note on the hard drive "I'm moving file X from A to B." It then copies the file from A to B. Deletes the copy of the file at A and then deletes the note. So, if there is a power failure anywhere in that process, there is sufficient information for the controller to figure out where it left off and no data physically lost or spatially lost on the platter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.