Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbudai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Hi All, I have purchased my first Mac a IMAC 20.5" 3.06 GHz. I had been a PC User for over 25 years and am having a bit of difficulty in setting up the everyday Toolbar Visuals. The main problem I have is that I cannot find any means to increase the size of the font on the toolbars and would also like to zoom the default size of displayed Web Pages. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
First off, you have a 21.5" screen, not a 20.5.:). Secondly when you say "toolbars", which toolbars? The toolbar on Safari? If you want to increase the text on web pages, use the keyboard and press Command and the Plus key (+). Use the minus key to decrease text size. Before you did this, make sure Safari is set to increase Text Only and not the whole web page. From the Menu Bar choose View-Zoom Text Only.

sbudai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
All Toolbar Labels Too Small To Read

First off, you have a 21.5" screen, not a 20.5.:). Secondly when you say "toolbars", which toolbars? The toolbar on Safari? If you want to increase the text on web pages, use the keyboard and press Command and the Plus key (+). Use the minus key to decrease text size. Before you did this, make sure Safari is set to increase Text Only and not the whole web page. From the Menu Bar choose View-Zoom Text Only.

Hi HLdan

Thanks, I am aware of how to change Web Page Sizing and Text Zooming on Web Pages. The problem I have is to do with the Toolbar Labels an all Application Programs. The only way I seem to be able to make the font size bigger is by reducing the resolution of the whole screen. Then I have the problem that The screen is wider than my screen display and I have not been able to find how to add a horizontal Scroll Bar. In Windows on the P.C. I can adjust the Font on all toolbars and even Task Bars without affecting the overall Resolution. Is the re any way to do this on the Mac?

hakr

macrumors regular
Hi HLdan

Thanks, I am aware of how to change Web Page Sizing and Text Zooming on Web Pages. The problem I have is to do with the Toolbar Labels an all Application Programs. The only way I seem to be able to make the font size bigger is by reducing the resolution of the whole screen. Then I have the problem that The screen is wider than my screen display and I have not been able to find how to add a horizontal Scroll Bar. In Windows on the P.C. I can adjust the Font on all toolbars and even Task Bars without affecting the overall Resolution. Is the re any way to do this on the Mac?

What you've discovered is a very serious shortcoming on mac computers. The inability to pick your own screen fonts and sizes in the OS and in applications just plain sucks. You want small? Look at the size of the fonts on a 27" iMac. Sheesh.

Everyone always suggests that "Well, you can reduce the resolution on the screen." That sucks, too.

As you point out, in Windows, you can pick and set screen fonts rather easily. But not on a mac. Icons that bounce when you click on them...that's considered important. Being able to easily see what's on the screen...not so important. :D :) :confused:

EasternQuay

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Command and + key

I have been setting up my new machine all day. lots of help from the Apple team. So far the only thing we can do to increase the size of the work face is to press CMD and + repeatedly and see your screen grow.

Charlie-Burt

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I just bought this imac (pc fried) for my wife to work on her websites.

The font size on her html editor is tiny tiny. You can barely make out the words. This is a real bummer. I haven't told my wife yet because I've been trying to dl all the applications she needs. This is gonna be a deal breaker if there's no way to increase font size in applications. There is no way she can work on her web pages holding a magnifier in one hand to read her html code.

SmilesLots

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
SW Virginia
What I do is select "View" in the Finder, scroll down to "show view options," and there is an option to select the text size. Is that the one you are looking for?

aroberson

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
increase toolbar font size

Though counterintuitive, go to the system preferences and select displays.
Try each until the toolbar size is increased. I hope this helps!

Reactions: Ojiwabi

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Agree with many others.

re: Windows x has Small/Medium/Large (sometimes called DPI ratio adjustment) that changes "fixed graphic" font size on all application menus - from a single setting. On the current version of Mac OSx, this Global DPI Sizing feature doesn't exist. A gap in Mac's current OS version. Perhaps next version will have this feature?

If one has the iMac 27", they could reduce screen resolution by 1 or 2 settings. This helps but isn't a perfect solution. With 21.5" iMac version, changing screen resolution size makes its images look too fuzzy.

For now, we'll have to live with this Global setting for "DPI ratio adjustment" gap - until the next Mac OS version. Hopefully, next version will have this feature.

Last edited:

Blue Draggin

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
thanks that was a great help. now I can see text better and not a huge webpage

:Dthanks that was a great help. now I can see text better and not a huge webpage
What I do is select "View" in the Finder, scroll down to "show view options," and there is an option to select the text size. Is that the one you are looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.