Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:16 PM   #1
janinenycteach
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Migrating files from iBookG4 to MacBook Pro

I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?
janinenycteach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
optophobia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinenycteach View Post
I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?
is the power plugged in ?
what happens when you hold down the T + power up ?
__________________
Need a last minute HOTEL TONIGHT? Find half price hotels AND get $25 instant credit - sign up HERE
then install the app on your iPhone
optophobia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
joecool99
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA
by default the iPhoto library should be under Pictures. you can browse manually through your original drive and copy the file.

of course you can install fresh Leopard. when you start it from the DVD, instead of going right to install, click Utilities in the top bar - choose disk utility

then erase the drive
joecool99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
janinenycteach
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Migration worked- partially- missing photos

Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.
janinenycteach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040
 
Dwalls90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinenycteach View Post
Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?
Not sure why. If you still have your iBook, start it in TDM and connect it to your new MBP while you're at your desktop. Then just navigate the iBook drive which should appear on your MBP's desktop. Navigate through the iBook's drive and just manually drag any files that didn't seem to transfer over.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PS3 to MacBook Pro HD with Audio AgentDuk MacBook Pro 5 Sep 7, 2011 04:32 PM
File Sharing FROM PS3 TO Macbook Pro beatledud Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Nov 29, 2010 11:43 AM
Transferring files from iMac to MacBook Pro Captain Planet MacBook Pro 17 Apr 12, 2010 01:11 PM
Transfer files from PC to MacBook Pro seven7seven Mac Basics and Help 3 Jun 17, 2009 10:02 PM
Transferring Data from iBookG4 to Macbook Pro Unklefxter PowerPC Macs 0 Mar 16, 2009 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC