Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
janinenycteach
macrumors newbie

Migrating files from iBookG4 to MacBook Pro

I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?
janinenycteach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
optophobia
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinenycteach View Post
I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?
is the power plugged in ?
what happens when you hold down the T + power up ?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
joecool99
macrumors 6502a

by default the iPhoto library should be under Pictures. you can browse manually through your original drive and copy the file.

of course you can install fresh Leopard. when you start it from the DVD, instead of going right to install, click Utilities in the top bar - choose disk utility

then erase the drive
joecool99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
janinenycteach
macrumors newbie

Migration worked- partially- missing photos

Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.
janinenycteach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinenycteach View Post
Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?
Not sure why. If you still have your iBook, start it in TDM and connect it to your new MBP while you're at your desktop. Then just navigate the iBook drive which should appear on your MBP's desktop. Navigate through the iBook's drive and just manually drag any files that didn't seem to transfer over.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs