Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1
thomasdzubin
macrumors newbie

Getting a static shock when using TV-out cable

I just bought the Apple "Composite AV Cable" so I can use my TV to watch stored videos from my iPod Touch, YouTube, and the NFB app (which supports TV-out) and it works great overall.
However, if I put my iTouch down for a few minutes, then try to grab it, I get a BIG static shock and I'm worried about bricking my iPod.
This happens both when I plug the cable into my VCR composite-in jacks or when I plug the cable into my TV (note: it's a CRT so yes, I know IT generates a static charge on its surface)
Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm not having static problems elsewhere in the house (so it's not a low humidity socks on the carpet problem)

Having the USB-"power bricklett" plugged in or unplugged doesn't make a difference either.
Is there an easy way I can "drain" off the static charge so I don't get zapped and my iPod doesn't get zapped/wiped?
thomasdzubin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Pixellated
macrumors 65816

That isn't normal. Despite of any warranties being run out, you must still take it to an apple store or call applecare, and I am sure they will not hesitate to help you.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:21 PM   #3
johnnyhow
macrumors regular

That happens to mine too. But it's a problem with the tv , Which is a Sony LCD it seems that touching the LCD or anything connected can give a shock. Seeing as the ends of the av cable are metal it makes it quite a 'shocking' job trying to connect them.
johnnyhow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories