Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hector Domingo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Hi
i've just, rather stupidly, spilt a sticky drink on my mid-2009 macbook pro.
I've managed to dry some of it off and wipe it down but it is still sticky :(

Nothing went on th keyboard thankfully, but it all went on the trackpad. Now my trackpad feels all sticky and won't register any movement of my fingers. When it does, it only moves a couple of millimeters on the screen and stops again :(

Also, wherever i click, it only registers the right click. Luckily i managed to attach a bluetooth mouse and use that to switch it off. Also, the mouse seemed to jitter and wander when i am not touching to trackpad :( Another thing i noticed is that the performance dropped rapidly when i spilt the drink.

Can you please offer me advice on what to do, I've looked all over, but com only find advice about the keyboard!

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You do realize that you need to keep the machine off for a couple of days to allow the liquid sufficient time to dry. If not you run the risk of shorting out the computer.

heliuscc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
UK
Turn it off

and leave it off. Then use isopropyl alcohol spray to clean touchpad area. Then leave it off to dry out for a long period (2-3 days)

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
and leave it off. Then use isopropyl alcohol spray to clean touchpad area. Then leave it off to dry out for a long period (2-3 days)

I second that! It sounds like your trackpad is mistaking a part of the spill for a finger.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
If you're okay with taking it apart, I'd remove the track pad from the computer and use isopropyl alcohol/distilled water to get the gunk off the trackpad and out of the inside of the aluminum case. (doesn't sound like any got on battery/hard drive on the inside) In order to get to the trackpad from the inside you'll have to remove the battery and the HDD.

http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/yXHpEfw1BpGaGfnB.large

Don't soak the thing with distilled water/alcohol, you'll ruin it for sure.

Edit: After reviewing the iFixit teardown of a uMBP it looks as if the trackpad is permanently affixed to the aluminum case. If so, that could complicate things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.