Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1
supmansa
macrumors newbie

OSX Snow Leopard Unstable - constant freezes, reboots

I recently bought a new Macbook Pro 15", and about 2 weeks ago I decided to upgrade to Snow Leopard, having read that it is now much faster etc.

However, since upgrading I've had to deal with constant freezes in Snow Leopard. Just browsing in firefox, the color wheel will come up and bring the whole system to a complete standstill for 2 - 3 minutes at a time, then continue, only to bring the color wheel up again.

Try editing anything in iMovie, and be prepared to deal with system freezes of 5 minutes, then 2 minutes of working, then 5 minutes of color wheel again.

The same can pretty much be said for working in most other apps.

I reinstalled Snow Leopard, only to experience exactly the same problems all over again.

I have finally given up and went back to OSX Leopard and finally have a stable system again.

Overall, dissapointed in Snow Leopard.

Any similar experiences?

Last edited by supmansa; Jan 11, 2010 at 04:14 AM.
supmansa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:10 AM   #2
bbigman2001
macrumors newbie

OSX Snow Leopard Unstable - constant freezes, reboots

I actually have had very similar results. I bought my macbook Pro back in Nov. 2010 and I find myself reinstalling snow leopard once every two weeks. Although my latest installation almost lasted a full MONTH until yesterday. The only thing I did differently this time was uncheck the save power option for the hard drive. I just thinking about going to linux. I am so tired of this.
bbigman2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:17 AM   #3
r0k
macrumors 68040

I was having a lot of spinning beachball action. I used to keep firefox running with about 30 tabs open. It was eating my Mac for lunch. I switched to Chrome and all is much better now. I still see the beachball but not as often. I passed on the 10.6.7 upgrade this morning. I may get it tonight if I have time. For now I'm on 1.6.6 on a Penryn Macbook (early 2008).

I remember going from Leopard to SL and I was very happy to get about 20 gig of disk space back. Apple did this by using compression so perhaps the performance issues are related to having so many things in the OS compressed. I would say stability is less than I had with Leopard but not significantly less and ditching firefox seems to have made my life better across all my machines and os's. Perhaps ff 4 will be better but I refuse to deal with ff 3.

hope this helps...
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:23 AM   #4
snberk103
macrumors 603

I'd say that this is not a generic OS X problem, but something to do with your particular installation.

bbigman2001, you are still under warranty. Don't just come here complaining and musing about shifting to Linux.... do something to resolve the issue. Like calling Apple. You've paid for the privilege by buying a Mac, so use it and get it fixed. I've got my 2008 MBP happily running 10.6.6. No issues, minimal beach balls. Only when I've opened do many applications and images that the RAM is gone.

supermansa, you've had your system since at least August of 2009 (or you didn't buy it from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller.) If it is 18 or more months old, then unless you bought Apple Care you probably can't just call Apple. You're best bet is to head over to the Apple online community support forums. You will need to provide more system info, but they are very good at diagnosing problems. Good Luck.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X