Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:40 PM   #1
matt2300cph
macrumors newbie

Ebay Purchase = HD Fail = need some suggestions

So a bought an older MacBook Air on the ebay recently. Out the box it was great, started up fine, transferred my data on migration app great, and it was a dream to carry to work.

Well 3 weeks later bam, spinning circle at start-up, HD not able to be repaired, so I reformatted and let her rip again (using a store bought upgrade copy of Snow Leapord). Worked fine...for 3 days, now failing to start up again. Was able to get by with just a repair of the HD, but unable to recognize the disk when I tried to restart.

1) The HD is failing and needs to be replaced, correct?
2) What type of HD is recommended as a replacement? My main use will be traveling with this bad boy (by bike in sometime inclement weather if that makes a difference). Storage is not much of an issue as this is a second computer.
3) I replaced the HD on my Macbook pro (still working as I type on it) so I think I can do this. However, just moved to Copenhagen and am without computer tools (hoping not to do this again). So what will I need to get the job done easily and properly?
4) As I said I am in Copenhagen so if anyone can recommend places to buy hard drives online that ship to (or are based in) Europe that would be very helpful as well.

On the bright side I still have this beauty, but too heavy) MacBook Pro to figure all this stuff out.
matt2300cph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:47 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

In this case it is crucial that you provide the revision of the MB Air. MB Air Rev A used a completely drive than the Rev B & C.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:57 PM   #3
matt2300cph
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Jessica,
It is Macbook Air 1.1 (is that Revision A, or what?) with the 80GB ATA HDD drive.
matt2300cph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:04 PM   #4
jimboutilier
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jimboutilier
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2300cph View Post
Thanks for the info Jessica,
It is Macbook Air 1.1 (is that Revision A, or what?) with the 80GB ATA HDD drive.
You need a 1.8" drive with a height of 5mm or less and a PATA interface with a ZIF connector. Not very common but the are out there and you will likely have to look for (or talk to someone about) - it is MBA compatible.

The original drives came only in 80gb or less. Now there are some 120gb alternatives and of course some 64gb and 128gb SSDs are available (search for RUNCORE).
jimboutilier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Runcore is the only seller I know of would also give you very fast start up time
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:24 AM   #6
strangerblue
macrumors newbie

I recently replaced my Macbook Air Rev A HD with a Runcore SSD.

It was not at all difficult to open the MBA or change the drive. Runcore supplied the two screwdrivers and there are excellent videos on Youtube to show how. Make sure you are organised and lay out the screws in the order your took them out (there are different sizes).

I did struggle a little at first trying to figure out how the ZIF connectors worked, then it became obvious.

The performance difference for real world computing is amazing. Close the lid and it goes to sleep, open the lid and it is back by the time the hinge is fully open. For me, it was well worth the price for a 128GB SSD.

If space is not an issue, then a 64GB SSD may be a better bet.
strangerblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:40 AM   #7
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
I extremely forcefully recommend that you take this opportunity to go SSD as other posters have suggested. You wont regret it. By most accounts the Rev A MBA is a relatively lack-luster experience with the HDD, you'll be blown away by the SSD.

*Hugs Rev A MBA 1.8/SSD*
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
couto27
macrumors 6502

runcore IV 64gb best option
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:28 PM   #9
pukifloyd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by couto27 View Post
runcore IV 64gb best option
+1 though ssd's are expensive they are worth the money...
if not SSD then go for any drive which is 5.5mm in hight...there aren't many options but if you search you will find something to suit you.

good luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air