Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Hello,

My new Jeep came with a stereo with a built in hard drive and USB port. Unfortunately music cannot be played directly from the USB port and music be copied directly to the hard drive.

As such I am wondering if it's possible to copy of selection of music from iTunes to an attached USB device/drive on a Mac. I'm thinking that I am going to have to go through Finder and copy it that way but I'm not sure.

Thanks
David

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello,

My new Jeep came with a stereo with a built in hard drive and USB port. Unfortunately music cannot be played directly from the USB port and music be copied directly to the hard drive.

As such I am wondering if it's possible to copy of selection of music from iTunes to an attached USB device/drive on a Mac. I'm thinking that I am going to have to go through Finder and copy it that way but I'm not sure.

Try finding a manual for your hardware - Google will find quite a few.
Most likely it will play music in MP3 format. To locate MP3 files on your computer: In the finder, Command-F, type .MP3 in the search field, click on "File Name" instead of "Contents". You can either copy individual files or whole folders in the Finder; quite likely that a player will understand that. And I'd try if the same thing works with a USB memory stick.

And many CD players will play .mp3 files as well; you can create them directly from iTunes but only with music in .mp3 format. You can convert music to mp3 format in iTunes, but ask here if you are not sure how to do that.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Try finding a manual for your hardware - Google will find quite a few.
Most likely it will play music in MP3 format. To locate MP3 files on your computer: In the finder, Command-F, type .MP3 in the search field, click on "File Name" instead of "Contents". You can either copy individual files or whole folders in the Finder; quite likely that a player will understand that. And I'd try if the same thing works with a USB memory stick.

It will play MP3 but to clarify I was wanting a way to export a certain selection/playlist from iTunes instead of picking and choosing from Finder.

Thanks though
David

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Do you have a laptop? If so, connect the USB cable to the laptop. Then just drag/drop from the iTunes window onto the mounted drive.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I don't have a memory stick on me, but as far as I can remember you can't drag from iTunes to an external memory source, and also unfortunately there is no way to view playlists in Finder, as they are stored under the artist name.

EDIT: According to the post above mine, you can. My mistake.

I'm guessing you know how to get to your iTunes music in Finder? If not,

User > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music.

Or, you can right click on a song in iTunes and click "Show in Finder".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.