Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

4 Hours Working On A Fcp Vid...unable To Open Project File? Help!

I just spent the last four hours trying to complete a project i'm working on only to have it for some reason not open up. I've been autosaving and regular saving often. Something was wrong with it so I shut it down and didn't select save (I'd been saving it all night and autosaving it so I thought that was fine) and now I can't open my file.

I tried to open final cut pro first and restore the project using AutoSave and it's saying 'Unable to Open project'. Is there ANY hope for my last four hours of work? PLEASE help!

I have FCP 7.
jayeskreezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
mreg376
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mreg376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeskreezy View Post
I just spent the last four hours trying to complete a project i'm working on only to have it for some reason not open up. I've been autosaving and regular saving often. Something was wrong with it so I shut it down and didn't select save (I'd been saving it all night and autosaving it so I thought that was fine) and now I can't open my file.

I tried to open final cut pro first and restore the project using AutoSave and it's saying 'Unable to Open project'. Is there ANY hope for my last four hours of work? PLEASE help!

I have FCP 7.
Do you use Time Machine?
2011 iPhone 4s and 2013 5s / VZW
mreg376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:08 AM   #3
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
Do you use Time Machine?
No, I've never used it before. How would I use that?
jayeskreezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:13 AM   #4
mreg376
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mreg376
Quote:
No, I've never used it before. How would I use that?
If you haven't then unfortunately it won't help you in this case. Time Machine can do automatic hourly backups of all your files to an external hard drive, completely in the background. You'll have the Time Machine feature if you're running at least Leopard. But like I said, it won't help you right now.
2011 iPhone 4s and 2013 5s / VZW
mreg376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:14 AM   #5
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I have FCP 7.
Did you try the version right before the last autosave? it should have shown you several versions available to restore.

Also, make sure you haven't run out of disk space ( < 10GB ) on your boot drive. I've seen that happen where lack of disk space caused this.

Your files should all be there still unless there is something wrong with your system, but from the way you were talking, it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong outside of FCP.
huntercr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:08 PM   #6
VypeR
macrumors newbie

Same problem..
Pretty much exactly as the original poster...
The project file I have saved is showing "ZERO" kb.. how's that even possible.. Every new project I start, this is what's happening.. I have enough space on my drive..

Can anyone help, using FCP 7..

5 hours of work, gone. Was constantly saving and "autosaving". I personally feel the autosave is where the problem is, I could be wrong though..
Help...!!!!
Not using TimeMachine.
VypeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video