How to connect DirecTV DVR to my wireless network - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
goldfishcracker
macrumors newbie

How to connect DirecTV DVR to my wireless network

Hello,

I was hoping someone on here would be able to provide some assistance.

I just had a new DirecTV DVR (model: HR22-100) installed and noticed there was a USB port on the front side of the DVR. I searched online on DirecTV's website and noticed to connect the DVR to the my wireless network I would need to order an $80 Linksys Wireless Adapter. The goal of connecting the DVR to the Internet is to access DirecTV's ON DEMAND service.

Would a USB Wireless Adapter serve the same function? If so, is there a preferrable brand/model I should buy? How would then the Airport recognize the USB adapter (as my network is password protected)? Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently have a Macbook with the latest OS (10.6.2) connected to my Airport connected to my DSL modem.

I am extremely new to adding new devices (especially non-Apple devices) to my wireless network and will appreciate any and all assistance.

Thank you!
goldfishcracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:08 PM   #2
mojohanna
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishcracker View Post
Hello,

I just had a new DirecTV DVR (model: HR22-100) installed and noticed there was a USB port on the front side of the DVR. I searched online on DirecTV's website and noticed to connect the DVR to the my wireless network I would need to order an $80 Linksys Wireless Adapter. The goal of connecting the DVR to the Internet is to access DirecTV's ON DEMAND service.

Would a USB Wireless Adapter serve the same function? If so, is there a preferrable brand/model I should buy? How would then the Airport recognize the USB adapter (as my network is password protected)? Does anyone have any experience with this? I currently have a Macbook with the latest OS (10.6.2) connected to my Airport connected to my DSL modem.

I am extremely new to adding new devices (especially non-Apple devices) to my wireless network and will appreciate any and all assistance.

Thank you!
This is what I did. I bought a airport express, ran the cat 5 cable from that to the DVR. Works perfectly easy without messing with the USB ports on the DVR. As far as I know, they are non-functional anyway, at least to an end user. In the end you will end up paying about as much for the APE as you would the $80 on the USB thing that probably won't work. Plus, you can set up the APE from your laptop or desktop in about 5 seconds.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishcracker View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
My understanding is that those USB ports are only good for service techs. (troubleshooting, updating firmware, etc.)

UPDATE: A quick google search shows that they ports can only be used to connect to an RS232 serial adapter to control the DVR with a PC.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:58 AM   #4
goldfishcracker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohanna View Post
This is what I did. I bought a airport express, ran the cat 5 cable from that to the DVR. Works perfectly easy without messing with the USB ports on the DVR. As far as I know, they are non-functional anyway, at least to an end user. In the end you will end up paying about as much for the APE as you would the $80 on the USB thing that probably won't work. Plus, you can set up the APE from your laptop or desktop in about 5 seconds.
Thanks for your help. I will have to try this option. I appreciate it!
goldfishcracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Nanookfan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohanna View Post
I also chose this route and it works without any problems at all. Plus it is very easy to set up.
Nanookfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
elijahpurcell
macrumors newbie

4G Hotspot

Will this same setup work when my wireless home network is my 4G mobile hotspot?

I just purchased a netgear ethernet bridge and set it up, but Direct TV will not connect to it...

Thanks
elijahpurcell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help