Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
dandeco
macrumors regular

Had my new eMac for over a week now...

...and I LOVE it!

For those who don't know, I ordered a used Apple eMac desktop from 2005 (the 1.42 GHz version with the SuperDrive) from eBay after Christmas for $150 (with free shipping!), and it came in the day after New Years' Day.

Now, some of you may remember me having an older 1 GHz eMac that conked out on me in late November after a hardware upgrade accident. However, this model is much more capable and has better specs than the old one did. Here is a rundown on what it shipped as:

1.42 GHz G4 processor
1 GB of DDR-SDRAM (two 512 MB modules)
160 GB hard drive
Dual-layer DVD/CD SuperDrive
ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 64MB discrete VRAM
3 USB 2.0 ports, two FireWire 400 ports
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (no additional software included)

Once I got it, I unpacked it from the box, plugged it in, hooked up my old black Apple Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse (salvaged from my old iMac G3), turned it on, and it booted right up into Tiger!

However, I wasn't done just yet. Tiger was nice, but since it was already capable of doing so, and since it didn't include iLife or any other software, I decided to format the hard drive and install the Mac Box Set discs (the Leopard version) to breathe new life into this Mac.

Since I had a 1 GB RAM module lying around from the old eMac, I took advantage of this, swapped one of the 512 MB modules with the 1 GB module, and bumped up the RAM to 1.5 GB. This really made a difference once Leopard was installed. Then I installed the AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi card from my old eMac, since I don't have an Ethernet connection in my room but great wireless range, and once I finally configured it, I was good to go!

I installed Leopard and all the updates, as well as iLife '09 and iWork '09. I even took advantage of the graphics card supporting Core Image and performed that hack to install iMovie '09 on a G4! So far I've had no problems (even iMovie '09 functions like it supposed to, but I also put in iMovie HD 6 in case something goes wrong). I also installed Firefox, QuickTime Pro 7, Photoshop CS, Final Cut Express 3, VLC Player (for those non-QuickTime compatible media files) and Microsoft Office 2008.

Today I even bought an Apple Mighty Mouse to replace the old Pro Mouse. The eMac easily recognized it and it just works. I missed having a right-click option and a scroll button! I still use the Pro Keyboard though.

So far, using this eMac has really been pleasing for me. It's often fast, it's stable and reliable (even more so than my HP Pavilion laptop from 2008!) and I think it will be a great desktop for me for the next few years. And since I got a paying job now, once I get enough I'm gonna get a MacBook (or MacBook Pro) so I can use Snow Leopard as well and use a Mac while on the go!
dandeco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Patmn
macrumors member

It's good to hear there are still a few of us eMac users out there!

I do have my eye on a new Mini in the future, but when I get it I'm still going to hang onto my trusty eMac, it's a unique machine that's for sure!
Patmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:43 AM   #3
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
Funky! I've never owned a PowerPC Mac, a little part of me wishes I did

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs