Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcmac86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
I have converted my dvd's to .mp4's, and itunes just wont add some of them. I've tried dragging the file as well as importing, and itunes simply does nothing. Also, with the movies that I was able to add, when I try to alter the artwork, Itunes stops responding. Any help would be appreciated.

wrxdrunkie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Hey guys,

I found this thread and I am having the exact same problem, only I am on windows.

I am trying to add some files, certain files produce a thumbnail view, the first time I play the file in itunes, it works!

Then I try to add the album art for the movie. It freezes as soon as I press OK.

only way to exit is ctrl+alt+delete

Once I relaunch itunes the file wont play anymore.

This happens more with high-quality rips as apposed to small 700mb rips...

Ideas?

gunnelcr

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
yep same thing happening to me. m4v files work perfectly fine but the occasional mp4 file that I try to add freezes itunes easily. Simply changing the mp4 to a m4v also does not work as I have tried that.

the movie will play fine unless you attempt to change any of the settings or the artwork. once this is attempted my itunes does not respond and when I reboot it the movie will not play.

answers please?

jimbofuller

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I was having the same problem for a while trying to change the album name on .mp4. I decided to wait a few minutes instead of force quitting. After 3 or 4 minutes everything was fine. The album name was changed and the movie plays.

MarkyGaga

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Figured it out!!

Alright so all you need to do is download the artwork for the movie. And then open up a program that allows you to take the whole image and copy it. Once that's done, go to iTunes and go to the movie that you want to change. Click on "Get info" and delete the artwork. Then press "OK". Make sure that the movie is still selected. When you see that the artwork is no longer there and there's an image of the movie, click on the bottom left corner and right-click and click "Paste." Give it a couple minutes and it should change with no problems what so ever.

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I'm having similar issue. I can't import an mp4 file into iTunes. Other movie files work no prob, but iTunes always freezes and crashes when attempting to import it.

doesn't matter if I drag it manually or select to import it from the iTunes menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.