Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourhero78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Morning all-

Been searching about this morning looking for an answer, but haven't found one yet unfortunately, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm currently running a 21.5" iMac that I picked up in October of '09. I also have a Viewsonic 21" monitor (nx2232w) that I have connected to the iMac at the moment through an HDMI to DVI cable out of the Viewsonic, and into a DVI to mini-DVI for the iMac.

The monitor is appearing and functioning in this setup, but I can't get a resolution of any decency. Most everything is out-of-range, or wildly odd, and I know I can do better somehow. I've been searching for Viewsonic drivers, trying out different combinations, and trolling the forums to no avail.

Is it the cable setup? Can I not use HDMI to mini-DVI in this way? Is it a driver issue? A firmware update? Or should I just go back to using the VGA port?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What resolution do you get n the Viewsonic?

Have you de-checked "Mirror Displays" in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement?

Are you up to date with your system?

ourhero78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Sorry, should have included that.

I am up to date with all my system software, everything is downloaded and installed.

As for the Viewsonic resolution - the highest I can get it is 1024 x 768. The highest "number" that I see is 1920x540, which I know isn't right.

There are also TV options (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) and a couple of those look halfway decent, but the text looks as if its been through a photoshop blur a few too many times.

Mirror Display is unchecked, as well. When check, both the screens jump into the 1024x768 style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.