Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:04 PM   #1
ahmadof
macrumors member

recommendations for scanner or

all in one type machine. i'm not looking for something to do perfect piuctures, just basic homeoffice , fax , copy type stuff. I want to make sure it works well with OSX and hopefully has support in the future (unlike the microtek i'm looking at right now. thanks
ahmadof is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:27 PM   #2
iBert
macrumors regular

hp-psc1200 series. I have the psc1215 all in one and at the lab I work we also have that same one. Cheap and will do everything you're looking for. hope this help.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:48 PM   #3
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
I myself am fond of my Canon LIDE series scanner. Its USB powered, so there is less clutter, and it works well, does decent enough scans for OCR, photos, and documents. Plus its affordable.

Downsides, the Canon software is awful. I purchased VueScan and I am much happier with it.
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 06:56 PM   #4
quidire
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to quidire Send a message via MSN to quidire
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBert
hp-psc1200 series. I have the psc1215 all in one and at the lab I work we also have that same one. Cheap and will do everything you're looking for. hope this help.
If you can swing it, the HP PSC 2410 is (obviously) better, indeed by a significant margin.

Apple Store link

In fact there is a 2510, which is the 2410 but wireless (yes, it can connect via WiFi to your Mac)
Apple Store Link
quidire is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2004, 07:45 PM   #5
ThomasJefferson
macrumors 6502

Microtek how I hate thee, let me count the ways.

I have owned Epson scanners over the years and have never had any problems.
ZDNet has some reviews here http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Scanner...l?tag=ont-peri

MacWorld has just done several reviews (August 2004) of scanners here http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/revi...atbedscanners/

Dig in.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:37 PM   #6
zagato27
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Canon LIDE 80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamuskrat
I myself am fond of my Canon LIDE series scanner. Its USB powered, so there is less clutter, and it works well, does decent enough scans for OCR, photos, and documents. Plus its affordable.

Downsides, the Canon software is awful. I purchased VueScan and I am much happier with it.
I'm thinking about the Canon LIDE 80. I won't be using it for anything special, just scanning some photos or OCR work. I had the Canon FB620U but haven't been able to find a driver for it and my G5. It's cheap, ~$80, OS X compatible, USB, and it comes with Elements 2.0 (which I was thinking of purchasing w/ best price of ~$45). So for about $40 I can get a scannner for light work. Anyone have any experience with this one? Cheers
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:23 PM   #7
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
As I said, I like the Canon series. As for software, try VueScan at www.hamrick.com. Its excellent scanner software.
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:47 PM   #8
arrowhead
macrumors newbie

i have epson stylus cx5200 all-in-one color printer/scanner/copier. it doesn't do fax. but, let's not forget that if you are using panther, you can use mail app to send/receive a fax. personally i've never used that feature before, so i guess others who have used it may be able to tell you better as to how well it works. as for my above printer, i bought it 1 1/2 years ago, so it is a bit old model. btw, it was about $150. if interested in a similar model, please check them out at epson's web site.

good luck.
arrowhead is offline   0
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:05 PM   #9
Malic
macrumors member

Talking I know what scanner NOT to get!!!

A Umax Astra 2100U. I had a unique solution to the lack of MacOS X driver support from Umax...

Malic is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews