Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caloomba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hello All

I've googled to see if I can find a solution to this but not had any luck - wonder if you could help.

My Mac Mini is 1.5Ghz PowerPc G4, 512Mb RAM, running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I bought it second hand a couple of years ago and in the past while it's really been playing up a bit.

It first started overheating and shutting down when I was doing really resource intensive stuff - for example, opening a large amount of RAW image files.

However, it's now started taking to shutting down when I'm doing normal browsing, using Spotify etc

The machine also tends to hang a lot, and I can't really stream videos very well either.

The vents at the back of the Mac definitely aren't blocked and there's plenty of space around the machine to let the air circulate.

Can anyone help in solving this issue?

Cheers :D

caloomba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I should mention that it's not actually shutting down, it goes to sleep.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
hot time in the old mini tonight.

i use/support lots of minis, and can tell you that the cooling system is really tight in the older (yours) and even more so the newer intel systems. even if you can't see anything on the back port, i'll bet you a quarter that it's full of dust as what you describe is a classic overheating symptom.

easy solution, take the mini outside (really) and blast it with compressed air. first blast is backwards, into the exit vents on the back. second blast is at the bottom air intake slots around the bottom edge. repeat the steps until nothing else is coming out. really would recommend an air compressor over canned air, as you need the high volume to get a decent clean. trip to a local mechanic and beg/pay to use a blow tool if you don't have any other access.

of course if you are really geeky, just putty knife it apart, clean everything, and then re-assemble! :)

best of luck.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
My Mac Mini is 1.5Ghz PowerPc G4, 512Mb RAM, running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I bought it second hand a couple of years ago and in the past while it's really been playing up a bit.

It first started overheating and shutting down when I was doing really resource intensive stuff - for example, opening a large amount of RAW image files
This is a bad combination. With that little RAM it will use more disk cache, which might attribute to the overheating problem.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Are you sure it is overheating?

My G4 just shuts off (not shut down or sleep) randomly. Thought it was the heat, but opening the case and blowing a fan across it on high didn't help much nor did removing the drives and running off an external FW drive. I just assume it is the motherboard or the shutdown thing Apple fixed with a firmware patch on the very similar laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.