Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:04 AM   #1
thumbelina
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Red face Macbook air repair and rebuild

Hi Everyone.
Not only am I a macrumour virgin, but this is the first time I have ever joined any group on line. You guys seems to have a passion about Apple so here goes.......

I am, or rather I was, a macbook air owner until recently, when my Mac Air decided to see if it could bounce off a hard floor and survive. It Didnt. Broke the screen, and dented the top case in the corner (panel behind the screen) and the upper/keyboard casing on the same corner. It did still work though although a 3rd of the screen was gone. pages loaded quicker on the smaller screen.....

Apple say it's beyond economic repair but $1800 of hard earned savings is hard to write off so I decided to have a go and fix it myself. The new screen, and used case parts are on order and partial dismantling completed. Screen and battery are out and I am holding on for the parts to arrive before further disassembly. ll the electrical parts in the lid and in the keyboard casing seem ok as the denting didnt seem to reach them, presumably backed up by the Air still working.

Does anyone have a service manual for the Macbook air? I am wondering how hard it will be to transfer all the internals into a new case. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Have a great day

Last edited by thumbelina; Jan 15, 2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: improved post
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:00 AM   #2
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
Hi Everyone.
Not only am I a macrumour virgin, but this is the first time I have ever joined any group on line. You guys seems to have a passion about Apple so here goes.......

I am, or rather I was, a macbook air owner until recently, when my Mac Air decided to see if it could bounce off a hard floor and survive. It Didnt. Broke the screen, and dented the top case in the corner (panel behind the screen) and the upper/keyboard casing on the same corner. It did still work though although a 3rd of the screen was gone. pages loaded quicker on the smaller screen.....

Apple say it's beyond economic repair but $1800 of hard earned savings is hard to write off so I decided to have a go and fix it myself. The new screen, and used case parts are on order and partial dismantling completed. Screen and battery are out and I am holding on for the parts to arrive before further disassembly. ll the electrical parts in the lid and in the keyboard casing seem ok as the denting didnt seem to reach them, presumably backed up by the Air still working.

Does anyone have a service manual for the Macbook air? I am wondering how hard it will be to transfer all the internals into a new case. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Have a great day
How much were the parts? There might be a few people here with a service manual

Looking at the manual a few times, it looks possible but going to take half a day to do.
xparaparafreakx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparaparafreakx View Post
How much were the parts? There might be a few people here with a service manual

Looking at the manual a few times, it looks possible but going to take half a day to do.
Hi, I picked up the screen ( made by AU Optronics) for 130, plus the lid and keyboard for 60 - in USD approx $320.

I hope someone really nice out there can help me out with the manual.....
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:23 AM   #4
ingouk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham UK
its not a manual, but it might help:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/MacBook_Air
__________________
24" Alu iMac, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD; Canon EOS 5D, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, 50 f1.8, 580EX
ingouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:13 AM   #5
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Red face Macbook air repair

Does anyone know if I can remove the logic board and heat sink without having to remove the heatsink first? Thanks

Last edited by thumbelina; Jan 15, 2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816
 
Airforcekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
Does anyone know if I can remove the logic board and heat sink without having to remove the heatsink first? Thanks
Might be too late but it would still bring 400-600 on ebay depending on the generation.
__________________
"The answer to 1984 is 1776" Google Infowars to learn more or search Endgame on YouTube
Airforcekid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:34 AM   #7
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Red face

The link is very useful. Thank you Ingouk. It seems now that the heat sink does have to be removed first, before removing the logic board.

I have been kind of hoping that there would be a number of separations/removals that I could bypass seeing as I was doing a complete change into the new casing.

Hoped a thorough read of a service manual would help me work that out
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:46 AM   #8
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
Might be too late but it would still bring 400-600 on ebay depending on the generation.
It's the A1304 G2 with 128 SSD. I just figured I couldn't bring myself to write it off, so figured in for a penny in for a pound

Will feel a real buzz to have it in my hands working again.

I'm on a mission to bring it back to life.........
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:57 AM   #9
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
It's the A1304 G2 with 128 SSD. I just figured I couldn't bring myself to write it off, so figured in for a penny in for a pound

Will feel a real buzz to have it in my hands working again.

I'm on a mission to bring it back to life.........
I have broken down and rebuilt several MBPs and an older iBook with the videos from ifixit.com and was successful each time. I found the videos to be very accurate and complete. You can also print out the pics and the instructions.

Good luck on your quest on your MBA. Just take your time, review the videos often, and/or print out the instructions and you will be just fine.

My older iBook had 58 steps to disassemble. My MBP had 1/2 of those steps to disassemble.
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:11 AM   #10
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerOnMac View Post
I have broken down and rebuilt several MBPs and an older iBook with the videos from ifixit.com and was successful each time. I found the videos to be very accurate and complete. You can also print out the pics and the instructions.

Good luck on your quest on your MBA. Just take your time, review the videos often, and/or print out the instructions and you will be just fine.

My older iBook had 58 steps to disassemble. My MBP had 1/2 of those steps to disassemble.
Thanks DesignerOnMac. I have been reading as much as I can. I think the task seems bigger to me because I have got to transfer everything from one macbook air casing, into another. Bit like re shelling a car, but no way am I gonna try that!
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Scottsdale
macrumors 601
 
Scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Check out iFixIt.com. They have some great photos along with basic instructions for teardown.

I have seen all three of the case parts on eBay for less than $200 total.

I have also bought a display by AU Optronics. I bought that brand new on eBay for around $80, so I got a good deal (usually I see it for around $120).

I have found mainboards on eBay and Craig's List. I found a mainboard for the original MBA for $25, which I still have with the CPU/GPU on board. I don't know if it works though.

Sorry you dropped your MBA. That must be frustrating. I wish you the best at getting it running quickly and inexpensively.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:55 PM   #12
MacModMachine
macrumors 68000
 
MacModMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
hi,

i have the repair manuals for the air's , send me the model of air you have.

include your email.
__________________
MBPr - 13" 2.5/8GB/128GB (Swapped for 480 OWC Aura)
MacModMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:23 PM   #13
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Smile


Last edited by thumbelina; Jan 15, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:27 PM   #14
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacModMachine View Post
hi,

i have the repair manuals for the air's , send me the model of air you have.

include your email.
Hi MacModMachine,

I have the A1304 Mac Air with the 128GB SSD. Email is khalidinuae@hotmail.com

Many Thanks
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:00 AM   #15
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Red face

Hi All,

If anyone could help me out with a service manual for Macbook Air Model A1304 with 128 SSD, it would REALLY be appreciated.

Many Thanks
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:49 AM   #16
nph
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Is there a different service manual for B? I did a search and thereonly seems to exist one version and that is for Rev A. Anyone knows?
nph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:12 AM   #17
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Hi All,

I'd just be happy to get a service manual for any Macbook Air!

The ifixit guide is great but seeing as I have to change the entire case, a service manual could help me with the things not covered elsewhere.........
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC - Manhattan
Emailed it to you.

edit: too big for hotmail to receive. Will upload it to megaupload or something.

EDIT2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CVEUQRHS

enjoy!

Last edited by Mactagonist; Jan 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:58 AM   #19
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Smile

Mactagonist, You are a super star! Thank you

And Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

I will keep you guys updated how I get on with the resurrection of my Macbook Air.
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:04 AM   #20
agaskew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I have an Air Service manual here, described thus:

MacBook Air
(original, Late 2008, Mid 2009)
Updated: 31 August 2009
agaskew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:50 AM   #21
nph
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Any chance you could share?
nph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:19 AM   #22
imac9556
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactagonist View Post
Emailed it to you.

edit: too big for hotmail to receive. Will upload it to megaupload or something.

EDIT2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CVEUQRHS

enjoy!
Hey, I sent you a PM!
imac9556 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:46 PM   #23
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC - Manhattan
I dont have that one sorry! They are hard to find, I'm trying to find a complete set but it might take a while.
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:48 AM   #24
agaskew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Mine is about 25Mb in size, here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K2C5Z7J4
agaskew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:17 AM   #25
thumbelina
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Talking

Hi All
If you have been following this thread, I am delighted to report that my Macbook Air is back to life and up and running and almost looking as good as new, after it's upper case/keyboard change, new top case and LCD replacement Thank you DesignerOnMac, Scottsdale, Mactagonist and Agaskew for your advice and posts.

Few pointers to help others who may face a similar predicament:
Be really careful when removing the screen bezel - they do warp much easier than you would expect and the more time and care you take in removal will mean that it will go back easier and look as if it never happened ( I have to find a new adhesive to put mine back and smooth out the ripples)

You don't need to seperate the heatsink from the logic board - on my late 2008, I was able to remove them still attached and that made putting it back easier too and avoiding having to redo the thermal paste (a must if you seperate them)

If you are replacing the lid, check that the lid and case line up perfectly BEFORE you tighten up the hinges.

If anyone out there needs any tips, get in touch. My macbook Air and I are now on intimate terms. In my opinion, an LCD CAN be replaced without a complete dis-assembly of your MBA. I did my case change before the LCD arrived and then just had to slot the LCD into the lid and connect the LVDS cable.

But as has been written above - take you time and you too can do a better job of bringing your MBA back to life than Apple who will happily sell you a new lid and LCD for $800 plus another $600 for the upper case/keyboard. My repair has cost me $300 in parts and I could now cut that down by over $80. And the Apple Service centre told me it was beyond economical repair and told me to buy a new one.

Personally, having fixed my MBA, I havent felt this good since I won an argument with the wife.......

Last edited by thumbelina; Jan 30, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
thumbelina is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attempting to repair my 2009 Macbook Air JayT007 MacBook Air 4 Apr 5, 2014 10:57 AM
MacBook Air damaged during Apple Repair SSD-GUY MacBook Air 8 Mar 21, 2014 06:45 AM
MacBook Air SSD repair, quoted 4 weeks! PhazonUK MacBook Air 3 Oct 23, 2013 03:48 PM
Macbook Air 2012-Sell or Repair? linniephil MacBook Air 6 Jun 1, 2013 01:35 PM
macbook air depot repair zankou MacBook Air 0 Nov 24, 2012 12:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC