Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:09 AM   #1
JasonMovieGuy
macrumors newbie

Wireless printer won't work on my imac

I know you folks are probably tired of seeing me- but I've only had this mac for a week.

So I got a new HP wireless printer, and the mac suggested setting it up with the USB first, and then disconnecting once it was configured. I did all that.

The mac asked to choose a wireless network for the printer, I did. Then the set up CD asked me to add a printer to the qeue from system preferences from the menu- when I clicked my printer was already added. None the less I followed the direction, and then got the message "You already have a similar printer set up, would you like to add this too?" I clicked YES, and then continue. When I clicked on continue, the set up cd (or mac) told me that I had NOT set up a printer from the Queue (sorry about spelling), even though I had. So when I clicked continue, it told me the printer was not recognized in the wireless network, and now I'm stuck with plugging it in the usb.

Please I know this sounds confusing, but why is this happening and what do I do to get the mac to recognize my printer? Apparently its not. My wireless signal is fine, I checked.
JasonMovieGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:40 AM   #2
dashcs
macrumors regular

Really for the true HP wireless printer.
You have 2 options,either just run HP setup assistant to setup up the wireless printer,if you dont follow the steps correctly,your screwed.

Or if the printer has a control panel on it (most do nowdays).On the printer control panal you would have it connect to the wireless network.

Inside System Prefrences-> Print & Fax,if it does'nt show the wireless printer,it might show the printer but as offline with the USB connection that you had it before
Click the + to add a printer,if it does'nt show the wireless printer (bonjour),
The your printer is not connected to your wireless network.

At any rate,why not call HP for support?
They have HP Mac support.
Printers are sometimes most complexe then computers.

My HP printer I could'nt set up as wireless because i accidently hit the blue light on the printer that disable the wireless card
dashcs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
janschwartz
macrumors newbie

can't link HP wireless to my macbook

HELP.

Whenever I try to link my macbook to my new HP 6500 all in one wireless, the setup assistant tells me that I either don't have the right driver, which I think is bull, or I have to set it up with a cable first, then be able to use it wirelessly.

HP customer service is useless. Can you help? I can't get these two pieces to work together!
janschwartz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

I have this printer and it connected perfectly without any set up really.

What operating system are you using OSX ?

If you are using the latest OSXSnow Leopard 10.6.+ then you should NOT use the CD install from HP and should uninstall everything from that HP cd. With the latest version of OSX Apple made the printer thing much easier and in fact I think there are problems (like you encountered) if you use the HP software to set it up. So uninstall everything and use the printer system preferences.

If you are not using snow leopard then I am not sure why it won't work and it sounds like HP customer service should be called.

I had to go though that exact set up you describe on my wifes MB because she is running leopard which didn't automatically connect.
flyfish29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help