Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154651-itunes_haiti.jpg

Apple has set up a feature on its iTunes Store main page to allow users to donate to the American Red Cross in support of relief efforts in the wake of Tuesday's massive earthquake in Haiti. The donations, which are available in six denominations ranging from $5 to $200, will be processed as any other iTunes purchase, allowing convenient billing for existing iTunes users, and 100% of the donated amount will be passed along to the Red Cross.
On January 12, a series of earthquakes measuring 6.5 to 7.3 on the Richter scale devastated Haiti. The American Red Cross is working with its partners in the global Red Cross and Red Crescent network, including the Haitian Red Cross, and other partners to assist those affected by this disaster.

Your gift to the American Red Cross will support emergency relief efforts to help those affected by this earthquake. Assistance provided by the American Red Cross may include sending relief supplies, mobilizing relief workers and providing financial resources.
In addition, Macworld notes that a number of Mac developers are donating proceeds from sales of their software to the relief effort. One group in particular is organizing under the Indie+Relief banner to set January 20th as a one-day fundraising push for the effort, with over twenty as-yet-unnamed developers already on board according to Macworld.

Article Link: iTunes Store Facilitating Red Cross Donations for Haitian Earthquake Relief

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
This seems much easier than that weird texting stuff. I did the texting thing, but now I'm afraid that I am going to receive annoying text messages in the future asking for more donations. Though, when you donate to Red Cross and provide an email, you will receive a lifetime of emails asking for more donations.

Edit: I see itunes is not sharing your info with Red Cross, which is nice.

Slava

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2006
It was a reference to the related developer effort to raise money on January 20th.

I guess I should have followed my own advice, that will teach me.

Also I would think that Indie+Relief will sell regular Mac software, so there won't be Apple's 30% cut.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
One less company to give your credit card info to? I could also use gift certificates to donate through iTunes.

Maybe even more importantly phone number and contact information.

I made the mistake of donating to a popular children's charity a few years ago and I receive follow-up (donate more) calls at least once a month, despite asking to be removed repeatedly from their phone bank.

Very annoying. There's no doubt it's a great organization, but I didn't donate to be pestered.

Not that the I believe the Red Cross would do that.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Very happy to see that Apple have added another option to donate. I think it will be very popular, and even if it only gets a small number of donations. Then it sure is worth it.

Odid

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I gave it a negative.

Money donated through The Red Cross doesn't go directly to disaster relief efforts. Most money donated there goes to helping them get out of their $200million+ debt. Donate through Mercy Corps or Oxfam or some other organization. Not the Red Cross. They're scammers.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why go through iTunes? Just go to RedCross directly.

Because clicking a button is easier than typing my name. Then my address. My State. My zip code. My 16 digit cc number. The 3 little faded numbers from the back. A phone number. Probably an e-mail address.

You see the difference, right?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Thanks for the initiative.

Thank you for another GREAT initiative, Apple. At least you don't hide your head in your pile of prosperity like many others.

And before I forget, my condolences to the families of the 17 fallen Brazilian HEROES that died honorably in Port-au-Prince while participating in the MINUSTAH (led by Brazil) and the reconstruction/peacekeeping efforts in Haiti...your bravery shall NOT be forgotten by the population of the second biggest Western democracy in the world!

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I can't believe this article has Negatives ... Arn, you should be able to disable certain articles from being voted on ... The people who are putting negatives obviously haven't pointed out one .... Someone had a signature that read " If Jesus himself came down and change the waters into red wine. Half of MacRumors would say .. RED!!? I wanted White wine "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.