Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
ctt1wbw
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ctt1wbw Send a message via MSN to ctt1wbw Send a message via Yahoo to ctt1wbw
Trucks: Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

Currently I am driving a Dodge Durango SLT Limited with only 6 payments left on it. I want a truck in the worst way, either a Dodge, Chevy or Ford.

I know they each have what I want, but Ford just came out with the SVT Raptor, which is just as sweet as pumpkin pie. I'm getting a truck later on in the year, just can't decide which one.

So which of these three do you people like and why?
ctt1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Love my Ford F-150. It is completely stock. It has the crew cab, two regular doors and two suicide doors. No complaints.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
MacNut
macrumors P6

I would give a look a Toyota. They have some nice trucks.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Miguey
macrumors 6502

My personal preference is chevy/gmc, most likely because that is all we drive in our family. Bunch of Silverado 1500 ext cabs, except for my sierra reg cab . Haha, they have all had no serious issues, and I have driven every single one of the multiple times and love them all. We got the 4.8 V8 model and the gas mileage isn't that bad as people make it out to be!
Miguey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
quagmire
macrumors 603

The only thing nice about the Tundra is the 5.7 V8, but the Big 3 now have superior engines in their vehicles( the updated 5.7 Hemi, the 6.2 V8 in GM and Ford trucks). The interior is atrocious. I sat in it when it came out at my local auto show. The HVAC, radio, and nav is too far out of reach. What were they thinking?

Thumb resize.

I am personally a GM person. Have a 2002 Chevy Suburban and it has been the most solid vehicle my family has owned. If I was going to buy a truck, it would be a GMC Sierra. I like the design of the Sierra over the Silverado( which is a first, I have always preferred the Silvy over the Sierra in the past). Ford would be my #2 choice now that they finally have some new muscle under the hood instead of that old POS 5.4 V8. With our poor history of Chrysler products, I would avoid the Ram like the plague. The Ram may be a decent truck with the Cummins, but I have no confidence with every other part, especially the transmissions.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I would give a look a Toyota. They have some nice trucks.
If you want a small truck I would agree that Toyota is good, however if you want full sized Ford, GM or Dodge would be a much better choice then the lackluster Tundra. The Japanese might do a great job on their cars and small trucks, but the full sized pickup is one place Detroit can't be beat.

My personal favorite is the Ford F-150. It has been the best selling vehicle in the US for over 30 years for good reasons. We have used F-150's for about 30 years around our farm and they have always been solid for both work and play.

I would recommend going out and driving all 3 and then see which one you like the best.

Here is the F-150 inside so you can compare with the Tundra above it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:34 PM   #7
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombieboy View Post
If you want a small truck I would agree that Toyota is good, however if you want full sized Ford, GM or Dodge would be a much better choice then the lackluster Tundra. The Japanese might do a great job on their cars and small trucks, but the full sized pickup is one place Detroit can't be beat.

My personal favorite is the Ford F-150. It has been the best selling vehicle in the US for over 30 years for good reasons.

I would recommend going out and driving all 3 and then see which one you like the best.
Just a FYI, but for 2009 the Camry is the best selling vehicle in the US. Americans have no taste in cars anymore..... If you want to go to a Japanese brand due to the perception of better quality, then go to Nissan at least! They actually try to design their vehicles to look good!
Penn Station-New York
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Just a FYI, but for 2009 the Camry is the best selling vehicle in the US. Americans have no taste in cars anymore..... If you want to go to a Japanese brand due to the perception of better quality, then go to Nissan at least! They actually try to design their vehicles to look good!
I'm pretty sure the F-Series is still the best selling vehicle. The Camry is the best selling car, but not vehicle line overall. The F-Series is the best selling truck for 33 years and best selling vehicle for 28 years. You can't put out something bad and keep a title like that.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010010...Auto-headlines
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:44 PM   #9
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombieboy View Post
I'm pretty sure the F-Series is still the best selling vehicle. The Camry is the best selling car, but not vehicle line overall.
Yep, you're right. Thought I read somewhere saying the Camry surpassed it. Probably misread the table. Went back and looked at each others respective sales results. F-150 still has a ~80,000 unit lead over Camry.

Ah ok, I mixed up the F-150 and Silverado. Camry surpassed the Silverado to become the #2 best selling vehicle in the US.
Penn Station-New York
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:48 PM   #10
fotografica
macrumors 68040

Question in regard to vehicle sales numbers..Are the sales rankings just for consumers,or do they include fleet sales (rental companies,commercial sales etc)?
fotografica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:48 PM   #11
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotografica View Post
Question in regard to vehicle sales numbers..Are the sales rankings just for consumers,or do they include fleet sales (rental companies,commercial sales etc)?
They include fleet.

On another note, GM will be unveiling the all new 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD and 3500 HD. Going to sport a new chassis and Duramax diesel. Can't wait to see the specs of Ford's Scorpion 6.7 diesel. GM lately has always had the best diesel regarding power lately.

And GM announced the plan to invest $1 billion into updating the rest of their truck lineup to hopefully catch the rebound of the housing market.
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Jan 16, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:02 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I like chevy
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Minus the fact that Nissan quality is not that good. They have been dropping pretty bad and now are just average to below average. Any of there cars with the 2.5 QR engine is looking at some trouble. The 2.5L QR engine is crap and has some major design flaw issues.

Yes my current car is a Senta SE-R Spec V with the engine in it and when I replace it I will not be looking at Nissan.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #14
steve2112
macrumors 68040

I personally like the F-150, but the new Silverados are nice. If you are looking at going with an HD model, the Dodge...errr, Ram (How stupid is it make Ram its own brand?) HD models just won Motor Trend's truck of the year. If you like the Raptor, wait a bit to get one. The 5.4L engine is seriously underpowered, but there is a new 6.2L engine coming out later this year. The new engine will have a lot more power with similar MPG.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:40 PM   #15
ctt1wbw
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ctt1wbw Send a message via MSN to ctt1wbw Send a message via Yahoo to ctt1wbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2112 View Post
I personally like the F-150, but the new Silverados are nice. If you are looking at going with an HD model, the Dodge...errr, Ram (How stupid is it make Ram its own brand?) HD models just won Motor Trend's truck of the year. If you like the Raptor, wait a bit to get one. The 5.4L engine is seriously underpowered, but there is a new 6.2L engine coming out later this year. The new engine will have a lot more power with similar MPG.
The Raptor's 5.4L has 330 hp. Is that underpowered for a truck that size? I'd like to get the 6.2L but I hear the sticker's are running up to $50k. I bit pricey.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:50 PM   #16
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
The Raptor's 5.4L has 330 hp. Is that underpowered for a truck that size? I'd like to get the 6.2L but I hear the sticker's are running up to $50k. I bit pricey.
They must have recently changed that. The 5.4L has been a 310HP for a long time. The version MT tested in their TOTY tests also had 310HP/365 Lb ft of torque. Considering the curb weight of their test truck was almost 6000 lbs, I would say it is underpowered. And for the record, their test truck was $46k. The base price is right at $39k.

BTW, the new 6.2L V8 will have around 400HP.

By comparison, the Tundra Work Truck they tested weighed in at 4821 lbs curb weight and had a 310HP 4.6L V8. It had less torque (327), but it had a lot less weight to carry around.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:09 PM   #17
ctt1wbw
Banned

I stand corrected. According to THIS article, the 5.4L will have 320 hp. I swore I read 330 somewhere else. However, the 6.2L will have 411, which is about 10 more than Chevy/GMC 6.2L, but about 15 or so more than Dodge's new 5.7L Hemi.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:17 AM   #18
RITZFit
macrumors 65816

While I am a bit of a GM fanboy at heart, for current trucks I'd probably go w/ a ford F series. I must say they are nice trucks
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:23 AM   #19
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I wanted to buy a Chevy in 2006 when I bought mine
I drove them and took one home
I loved the interior... but not the exterior

I ended up buying the Ford F150 4X4 Lariat

- two tone paint
- running boards
- sat higher

I like the leather of the Chevy and the seats better
But I love sitting in my F150

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:00 AM   #20
echeck
macrumors 68000

I would say you have to go with the F Series, particularly the F-150.

In my opinion Ford is the definition of pickup. There's just nothing better.

Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:18 AM   #21
ctt1wbw
Banned

I do know that the new Ram can out-haul and out-tow the new F150. I love the Ram, but the new Raptor has me going.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:54 AM   #22
fotografica
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I do know that the new Ram can out-haul and out-tow the new F150. I love the Ram, but the new Raptor has me going.
The new Ram may be able to do that,but the question is how long will the tranny last?
fotografica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:18 AM   #23
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotografica View Post
The new Ram may be able to do that,but the question is how long will the tranny last?
+1

If you want a truck Ford or GM is the only choice IMHO. If you wanted a diesel, currently it would be GM only. The Powerstroke is a reliability nightmare. The Cummins in the Ram may be one of the best diesels out there, but I have no confidence in the transmission being able to take the power reliably. The Duramax+Allison transmission is good combination. Though once the Scorpion comes out( it will still be called Powerstroke), my opinion will change when it comes to Ford diesels most likely( International made the POS diesels for Ford).
Penn Station-New York
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:29 AM   #24
ctt1wbw
Banned

Obviously they can handle it, cuz I see a **** ton of newer and older Rams on the road. There's a **** ton of Fords and Chevys on the road as well. I never see a ton of older Toyotas or Nissans on the road, fwiw.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:59 AM   #25
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Obviously they can handle it, cuz I see a **** ton of newer and older Rams on the road. There's a **** ton of Fords and Chevys on the road as well. I never see a ton of older Toyotas or Nissans on the road, fwiw.
That is due to the older Toyota's frames are rusting to hell.

Like I stated in my first post, my luck with Chrysler products have not been that good. One of our minivans and a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee both had transmission failures with low mileage. Chrysler's transmissions are not known for reliability.....
Penn Station-New York

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion