Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
scooterguitar
macrumors regular

Logic: Buying elsewhere and ease of use?

Is there any reason I shouldn't be looking at fleabay to purchase Logic Studio 9 and save around $150 opposed to purchasing from Apple when I order my new iMac?

Also, coming from Garageband, for basic ease of use and quick recording, is Logic fairly easy? I want to use Logic as it has all the jampacks, but mainly for the amp designer and added effects.
scooterguitar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:53 AM   #2
seisend
macrumors 6502

Logic 9 is a great program and has some nice fuctions for Pro's . The new guitar features are great too. The interface isn't the same as in Garageband, but has many similarities... It's still easy to use for recording some vocals or instruments.

Just make an audio channel, set the input and press record and you are good to go. I can't tell you about Logic Express. I don't know the features of this programm. But you can surely look at it on apple.com . Although , I think Logic 9 Pro itself is very cheap. 150 bugs is not much for a professional program and you have no limitations.
seisend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterguitar View Post
Is there any reason I shouldn't be looking at fleabay to purchase Logic Studio 9 and save around $150 .
It is a real copy or counterfeit? How do you know? If you are sure you are getting the real thing and a serial number that allows for upgrades then yes, just buy from whoever has the lowest price.

If you pay be credit card, direct to the seller, not through paypal then your bank will protect you and you can charge back if you get a bogus copy.

Logic does have a bit of a learning curve. Much steeper then GB.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:05 PM   #4
scooterguitar
macrumors regular

Thanks Chris.
Now a few people are telling me they only paid $179 for the academic version (not express) this past fall on their campus. This seems way too low.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:23 PM   #5
hakukani
macrumors regular

No upgrade path for the academic version.
hakukani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
SFXsource
macrumors newbie

Logic is an incredible program and the learning curve isn't bad, if you move to it you'll never regret it for a second, its amazing, versatile and can do pretty much anything except make coffee
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
scottlinux
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
No upgrade path for the academic version.
Oh there's an upgrade path: buy the new version for $179 academic.

I've seen Logic 9 for $159 academic but in .edu bookstores only.
scottlinux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:16 PM   #8
scooterguitar
macrumors regular

Thanks.
Right, I;m a teacher and college student, still I only get the $50 off! I've been hearing the $179 at bookstore prices at other bookstores, but no luck for me. AT that price I wouldn't care about upgrades. Looks like I'm stuck going ebay or direct I guess.
I might end up going wiht the 21.5" imac opposed to the 27 15, but I read earlier that would be enough for running it?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:39 AM   #9
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterguitar View Post
I might end up going wiht the 21.5" imac opposed to the 27 15, but I read earlier that would be enough for running it?
Logic can really eat up screen space. If you have a lot of tracks and then open up a media browser. It will rn on a small 13" screen but yu get to see more at once with the bigger screen.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio