Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I was using the Mac Gimp the other day, and mostly found it fairly satisfactory. The problem I ran into is that all of its palettes are activating windows, which becomes a real pain in the. Years ago, I tried out Linux from curiosity and found it had some nice features. Cursor focusing was especially nice. Is there value I can put into something like twmrc or maybe xinitrc to make it a little more friendly with respect to the cursor?

Feel free to slap me on the back of the head for not searching hard enough.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
With X11 running, bring up its preferences window and go to the Windows pane. There you will find a checkbox for "focus follows mouse".

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Which version of Mac X11 has that? I sure did not see it any of the six times I looked.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
XQuartz 2.3.4 (Snow Leopard)

Attachments

• x11prefs.gif
    x11prefs.gif
    20 KB · Views: 66

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually (I'm just getting ready to try it), it seems like the next option up might be more useful (though not sure how to activate it on Leopard). "Click-through Inactive Windows" would allow you to change to a tool with a single click, and the same for beginning to use it.

jW

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Well, I do like focus following the mouse, it made Linux (Gnome) very nice. And that middle-button paste thing that was tasty as well.

The setting does not seem to take on the version I have (XQuartz 2.1.4) so I am going to see if I can install 2.4.0.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
You can do it for Leopard too. I've done it. Just takes a Terminal command.

Thank you for the link. I downloaded X11 version 2.4 and all is wonderful. You can tell that this version is better than the one I was using because it has a much sexier icon.

KingYaba said:
GIMP is nice for quick crops and basic things.

GC is good for quick crops and basic things. Gimp is good for the things that people who cannot afford or choose not to pay the Adobe tariff might want to do beyond GC's capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.