Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Marisett
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Unable to join the network (no wifi works at all)

Let me start off by saying, I have tried all the basics in getting this thing to work, so DONT tell me to reset network setting, or turn the phone off. This problem is on ANY and ALL wifi routers. NOT just my home one, it is always the same symptoms everywhere on any router.....I know its the phone and I know it COULD work, because one day it fixed it self for a few hours...read the whole thing, and you'll see how (I know its long, but c'mon Ive spent months trying to fix this and NOTHING)

Okay, so Ive been searching and searching and searching. People have problems with Wifi. But it doesn't seem like anyone else online has THIS problem, which is odd, because a co worker has the same problem and our in house Mac IT guy has a friend with the same problem, and no one seems to have a solution. Everything Ive read online about Wifi problems are different symptoms.

I have a 3G 8bg iphone, NOT jailbroken. And no longer under warranty or Apple Care coverage.

One day, Im downloading an app over wifi, when suddenly the wifi shuts off and I get a message saying, I need to connect to wifi to download this app because its too big for 3G (worms game)

I thought this was odd at the time because I started the download with wifi. When I tried to reconnect it showed my router as really weak, and none of the neighbour hood routers are showing up. Again, odd since the router is about 10 feet away. This time it says "unable to connect to the network "get your nerd on" (my home router)

So OF COURSE I try rebooting the router. same error.
I try resetting network settings on the phone. same error.
I try resetting my router security. same error.
I resore the damn phone to factory and leave it that way in case its an app causng the problem for some reason. same *&*(#$ error!!!

my laptop and ps3 are both still working with the router, even after all the resetting.

So now Im thinking, its GOT to be the phone, I'll try it at work tomorrow.

I get to work, and see the same symptoms right away, usually it auto connects to the network but not this time. so I go in and >connect to wifi, immediatly I see the work router at 1 bar (used to be full when it worked) so I ask around the other iphone users, and they're all working just fine.

Now Im really concerned. I try doing all the basics again to humour my colleagues. Have you tried rebooting the phone? have you tried rebooting your router? have you tried resetting network settings and releaseing the IP all the blah blah blah basic stuff that OF COURSE I TRIED.

So at this point Ive given up. The Wifi doesnt work. And its been about a month now, with no wifi only 3G.

So this one night after Ive forgotten how nice it is to even have a wifi phone, Im playing around with my ps3 headset, and I think to myself, maybe I'll try pairing this headset with my phone, for kicks. I turn on the bluetooth and let er rip, after 10 minutes of searching I give up and think its just not going to work. When suddenly....

I look at the phone, and see the wifi bars are on!

What sorcery is this? it must be a glitch right? wrong. The Wifi was working again! it showed my router at full strength, and all the neighbours routers were showing up again at full strength as well!!! THank Science! the phone fixed itself, I didnt even have to connect to my router, it just remembered the security settings and connected. Same when I went to work, immediatly when I enter the office the wifi is working.

ITS ALL GOOD RIGHT??

WRONG. after a couple weeks of fully operation wifi I decided to poke around in the wifi settings to see if everything still looked okay. But OOPS instead of going to wifi I accidentaly turn on Airport mode, no big deal, silly finger just touched the wrong thing.

So I turn airport off, and see that it hasnt connect to my network yet...Uh oh. I go in and try to connect manually, I see my router as 1 bar of wifi. I begin to worry. My concerns are justified when I hit that connect button and get the message "unable to connect to the network "get your nerd on"

@#$%. Great, I pressed the wrong button it wrecked my wifi again. All the same symptoms again, no wifi connectivity at home, work, or anywhere else.

This time though, trying to play with the bluetooth settings didnt do anything and Im stuck again with no wifi.

I have been to the Genius Bar, they asked me if I tried rebooting the phone. Or resetting the network settings. I almost choke the guy.

So. IF you've read this far you see my dilema. Nothing seems to fix this damn phone, but I know its not a huge error because it was like this for a month before it fixed itself and worked for me, when I wasnt even trying to fix it. I need to "trick" it into fixing itself again....

Marisett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
eawmp1
macrumors 601

It's mocking you.
Call Apple and speak to customer service, CALMLY explain your intermittent problem, then demand a replacement.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3
rgrdog
macrumors newbie

Angry Same here! Unable to join the network (no wifi works at all)

I have experienced the same "unable to join the network" problem with my iphone 3G. It would not connect and then it just started working again for about two weeks. Now it back to failing to join again. The iphone is about 1.5 years old and out of warranty. Apple has tried everything, all I can do is send it to them for repair at the rate of $199.
rgrdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
luisgerardosr84
macrumors newbie

Smile Found the Reason....!!!!

Hello everyone....

I have the same issue with my iphone (3G 8GB).... It seems that WiFi performance in the iPhone has a direct relationship with the temperature of the device itself.

I was watching a video on Youtube and someone adviced to put the iPhone on the frezeer and let the device cool down for a little bit. I did that and it boosted up the WiFi signal and got connected to my router in no time....

It worked out... Next step, I guess, is to start uninstalling apps that makes the processor to warm up... or simply find a way to make my iPhone tu run the OS better without taking so many resources.... got to keep the iPhone cool or in the appropiate temperature for it to work on WiFi...

Hope this post helps out.

LG.
luisgerardosr84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
bthornhill001
macrumors newbie

Fridge Trick worked

I have to admit, I was skeptical, but the fridge trick worked. It was an act of a desperate man, but after all other tricks failed I threw my phone into the fridge for about 1 hour.

When I took it out, it instantly connected to my WIFI.

So now it's off to find out which app is causing my system to run hot.

Thanks,

B
bthornhill001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
surcal
macrumors newbie

iphone - unable to join the network - Solved

Solved - Solved -Solved

I held my iphone touching the antenna of WIFI router, it connected to the router. I was able to use the internet in this position only. Moving away from router's antenna, internet does not works. At leaset now I can do some very urgent works on iphone without GPRS connection.I was not able to use my wifi for last six months. Done everything that was already discussed in all the forums.I am calling it solved only because, I was afraid of future unlocks will not be possible without WIFI. Uptil 3.1.2 "iphone pcsuite" could be used to install ultrasn0w directly through PC. But from 3.1.3 iphone needs to install "AFC2ADD" through cydia, before it can be recognised as a jailbreaked iphone. Atleast WIFI working. This way I can update important cydia updates and apps without having to use GPRS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7rItVFUeg
surcal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting