Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
eleanorblack
macrumors newbie

Quality loss importing .mov files into iMovie

Hi - I've seen a few threads on this general topic but none that seem to fix my problem - I'm not very techy and need a simple answer!

I have a high-quality clip - filmed by someone on tape (which we no longer have) and then edited in AfterEffects by someone else and saved as a .mov file. It looks great. I now want to do some more work on it in iMovie09 as I don't have access to AfterEffects - but when I import it I seem to instantly lose quality - clear to see when viewing the clip full screen, and the loss of quality is still there after exporting. Is this just an inevitable side-effect of importing or do I need to tweak settings? The only import options I seem to have are whether to Optimise Video or not and if so to select Large of Full size - selecting different options doesn't appear to make any difference - help appreciated!
eleanorblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:24 PM   #2
pilotrtc
macrumors regular

I think it has something to do with how iMovie 09 imports video. I read somewhere on these boards that iMovie 09 renders every other line in the image while iMovie HD 6 didn't.

Someone out there explained this point in another thread and I was hoping to re-read it. I've been looking for that post and, because it was in response to a different question, can't find it.

Maybe that someone will see this and repeat what s/he knows?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorblack View Post
Hi - I've seen a few threads on this general topic but none that seem to fix my problem - I'm not very techy and need a simple answer!

I have a high-quality clip - filmed by someone on tape (which we no longer have) and then edited in AfterEffects by someone else and saved as a .mov file. It looks great. I now want to do some more work on it in iMovie09 as I don't have access to AfterEffects - but when I import it I seem to instantly lose quality - clear to see when viewing the clip full screen, and the loss of quality is still there after exporting. Is this just an inevitable side-effect of importing or do I need to tweak settings? The only import options I seem to have are whether to Optimise Video or not and if so to select Large of Full size - selecting different options doesn't appear to make any difference - help appreciated!
What is the codec of the MOV file? ( play the file in quicktime and hit Command-i and see what it says in the "format" section )

There are ways around iMovie's limitations, but we need to make sure we're starting at the right point.
huntercr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:42 AM   #4
pilotrtc
macrumors regular

I was wrong. The post about the quality is on the Apple forum. I recommend viewing the post as "threaded".

Last edited by pilotrtc; Jan 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
pilotrtc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video