Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleanorblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Hi - I've seen a few threads on this general topic but none that seem to fix my problem - I'm not very techy and need a simple answer!

I have a high-quality clip - filmed by someone on tape (which we no longer have) and then edited in AfterEffects by someone else and saved as a .mov file. It looks great. I now want to do some more work on it in iMovie09 as I don't have access to AfterEffects - but when I import it I seem to instantly lose quality - clear to see when viewing the clip full screen, and the loss of quality is still there after exporting. Is this just an inevitable side-effect of importing or do I need to tweak settings? The only import options I seem to have are whether to Optimise Video or not and if so to select Large of Full size - selecting different options doesn't appear to make any difference - help appreciated!

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I think it has something to do with how iMovie 09 imports video. I read somewhere on these boards that iMovie 09 renders every other line in the image while iMovie HD 6 didn't.

Someone out there explained this point in another thread and I was hoping to re-read it. I've been looking for that post and, because it was in response to a different question, can't find it.

Maybe that someone will see this and repeat what s/he knows?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Hi - I've seen a few threads on this general topic but none that seem to fix my problem - I'm not very techy and need a simple answer!

I have a high-quality clip - filmed by someone on tape (which we no longer have) and then edited in AfterEffects by someone else and saved as a .mov file. It looks great. I now want to do some more work on it in iMovie09 as I don't have access to AfterEffects - but when I import it I seem to instantly lose quality - clear to see when viewing the clip full screen, and the loss of quality is still there after exporting. Is this just an inevitable side-effect of importing or do I need to tweak settings? The only import options I seem to have are whether to Optimise Video or not and if so to select Large of Full size - selecting different options doesn't appear to make any difference - help appreciated!

What is the codec of the MOV file? ( play the file in quicktime and hit Command-i and see what it says in the "format" section )

There are ways around iMovie's limitations, but we need to make sure we're starting at the right point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.