Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I'm working on a annual project that I have done for 3 years. There is always a text document that the company sends to me in *.doc format that needs to be input using Indesign. It was made in MS Word and has tabs in it. When I import the file to Indesign (CS4) the tabs get messed up. This is about 40 pages and will take me about a week to re-tab. I'm wondering if there is a magic converter out there that I do not know about. They used to pay someone to do it but they cut back and no longer have that employee...I really do not have a week or patience to try it hehe....thanks in advance if anyone knows of anything.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Maybe open it in office and export it as a tab delimited file.
Then use the data merge function in InDesign to create the pages.
I recently used similar technique to create 200 membership cards in InDesign from an excel file.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I think I was wrong...I was trying to figure out what was wrong with these tabs but apparently there are no tabs. There are about 4 columns. Probably at one time there were tabs and I think someone must have copy/pasted this from some other program and in the process lost the tabs. It all 'looks' tabbed but there are no tabs....I need to move all the columns so I think I am out of luck hehe...... thanks for the attempt though =)

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
I think I was wrong...I was trying to figure out what was wrong with these tabs but apparently there are no tabs. There are about 4 columns. Probably at one time there were tabs and I think someone must have copy/pasted this from some other program and in the process lost the tabs. It all 'looks' tabbed but there are no tabs....I need to move all the columns so I think I am out of luck hehe...... thanks for the attempt though =)

Probably some novice that used spaces to "align" the columns. :rolleyes:

What you can do, in either Word or InDesign, is use the Find-Replace function to replace:
  • double spaces with an "*",
  • then replace double "*" with a single "*", repeat this step as many times as necessary to remove all but one "*" between each column's text,
  • then replace the "*" with a Tab character
Then you can set-up the columns properly in InDesign using custom tab stops.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
wow......Buzz, that's a great idea..I am going to try that tomorrow and report back...GREAT idea !! :D

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Edit > Find/Change... (Command-F)
In the resulting dialog, in the Query: pulldown menu, choose: "Multiple Space to Single Space".
Click Change All.
Click Done.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Attached is a picture..

I think I follow you guys but there is a problem. I can't convert all the multiple spaces to a single space then set tabs because there are single spaces that I want to leave unchanged....in the picture the red circle area is what I need to change. It needs to all be moved over to the left. This is a 50 or 60 page document.. =) ...or am I wrong? If I change every multiple space to a single space, to apply certain ones to tabs I would manually have to do that to each line after. Or am I missing something?

..actually its 150 pages.. =/

edit - I replaced "5 spaces" with a "*" but that doesnt work because there are other places with "5 spaces"....know what I mean?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 92

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
... I can't convert all the multiple spaces to a single space then set tabs because there are single spaces that I want to leave unchanged. ...

Yep, that's why I always use an intermediary symbol. Above I said to use the "*", but of course if that is used elsewhere within the text you can use anything else that is unique instead. Often if I don't know every symbol within the text, so I use a longer combination as the replacement, e.g. "*+*" or "*-*+*-*" or "{tabhere}" - anything which is highly unlikely to be used elsewhere.

Above I also said they were spaces (and in your picture they do looke like sapces) since that is the usual novice approach to columns, but in some cases a novice user will use tabs, but not custom tab stops, which often results in multiple tabs between neighbouring columns on some lines. The above process will still work by replacing the double-tabs with the unique symbol.

edit - I replaced "5 spaces" with a "*" but that doesnt work because there are other places with "5 spaces"....know what I mean?

There shouldn't really be any need to have even double-spaces, let alone five spaces, but you could copy the parts that do need changing to a new document and make the Find-Replace changes there.

Another way is that in Word and InDesign, the Find-Replace can work on only the selected section of text - so ON A BACKUP OF THE FILE you can select a section of text, perform the Find-Replace, select another section, perform the Find-Replace, etc. It's tiresome, but works.

In Word (except the current version, I think) you could set up a macro to perform the multiple Find-Replace steps so all you have to do is run it each time. In Word or InDesign you might be able to use AppleScript / Automator to make it the process a bit quicker. Either way you'll still have to manually select each section and then run the macro / script.

If it is an on-going task, then a better option might be to teach the person sending the file how to do tabs properly. :)

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
hehe Ya I wish I could get them to do it the proper way. Easier said then done!...anyways I have tried a few times and I still can not get it to work. I understand your principal but I dont think it will work...You wanna give it a try? =)

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
What about just saving the Word doc as a PDF and then placing said PDF in your ID file? It's neither perfect nor ideal, but it might save you a lot of time if all the formatting you need to do can be done quickly in Word.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I am wanting to change (apply) formatting before placing it in ID =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.