Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Hi!

A couple of days ago my MBP from 2008 just died while i was surfing, well the computer did not die, it was still on but the screen was completely black which sounds like the famous nvidia problem!

The thing is when i was on my way to my Apple service provider i teststarted it again and now it did not start at all, well the computer starts for 1 second but then dies.

The problem is now that my Apple service provider will not file it under the nVidia problem since they cant even do the diagnostics of the graphic card, so they will charge 900 USD to repair it, ridiculous!

Here in Sweden we have 3 years "guarantie" on every product IF the product had a proven flaw from day 1, which my computer have since i talked to Apple and they said it is one of the affected ones, based on my serial number!

What shall i do?

sameeryounes

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
almost the same

Hi Xper!
I have a MBP 17 early 2011 with a backlit problem, my guaranty period expired and as you mentioned it will cost a lot to fix it at apple service, have you found any one who can do it here in Halmstad?
thx

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Hi!

A couple of days ago my MBP from 2008 just died while i was surfing, well the computer did not die, it was still on but the screen was completely black which sounds like the famous nvidia problem!

The thing is when i was on my way to my Apple service provider i teststarted it again and now it did not start at all, well the computer starts for 1 second but then dies.

The problem is now that my Apple service provider will not file it under the nVidia problem since they cant even do the diagnostics of the graphic card, so they will charge 900 USD to repair it, ridiculous!

Here in Sweden we have 3 years "guarantie" on every product IF the product had a proven flaw from day 1, which my computer have since i talked to Apple and they said it is one of the affected ones, based on my serial number!

What shall i do?

well 3 years is over....twice , you will need to buy a new laptop.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006

Like MMM mentioned, you're now at 6 years. Even with the 3 year guarantee, and assuming that the fault was proven to be there from 1 day, you're WELL beyond the 3yrs.

Not really sure what you're hoping for, that they fix or replace your laptop after 6 years of ownership?

Edit: Just hit me that the original post was from 2010, i.e. within 2 years of ownership. -_-

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi!

What shall i do?

That free repair program ended on december 7th 2012. Truth be told, getting a free 4 year warranty on a defective part is already pretty good as it is.

You can either try and bake the board or just buy a new computer. Baking the board is free and can't make the computer any "deader" than it is already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.