Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
i dont remember the exact difference but i thought it was the rated wattage (wasn't one 53, the other 60?). i think the first is for rev. a & b 17" while the second is for rev. c.

then again, im just going off the top of my head.

i think the second one has a small advantage in terms of life, and was interchangeable with rev. a & b models.

cromeyellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
San Diego
A1039 versus A1057

This is subjective but when I was having problems with the original A1039 battery I decided to replace it. The old battery seemed like it would indicate 4 hours or so of charge time, but when it got to 1 hour left the 17" screen would go blank with no warning and I would have to plug in the charger.

The A1057 seems to indicate the proper time left in the display, but even after a full night's charge this number never seems to go beyond 2 1/2 hours or so. Also, the unit seems to lose like an hour of charge time just from being left on Sleep all night. That seems like too much charge time lost from just being left on Sleep.

When the A1039 was brand new it did seem to give me up to 4 hours of actual use, but not at a year old. And I have always been careful to avoid using the unit with the charger in unless I had no choice.

The A1057 doesn't seem to want to give me more than 2 - 3 hours no matter what. So I can't really say that this A1057 I just got is better than the original A1039.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.