Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomspie85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm new here.
I am currently looking for a use or way of recycling used mattresses.These
mattresses aren't the household type. They are made purely from fire
resistant foam. Is anyone here has any ideas at all I'd be very grateful.

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
I would contact your town hall and see if you have a recycling center for them. If they are in good shape you could always donate them to the Good Will or even sell them on Craigslist. Hope that helps!

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Hi,

I'm new here.
I am currently looking for a use or way of recycling used mattresses.These
mattresses aren't the household type. They are made purely from fire
resistant foam. Is anyone here has any ideas at all I'd be very grateful.

Eeeeewwwwwwwww. Do you have any idea how many bodily fluids and dust mites the average used mattress contains? Send it to the dump.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Eeeeewwwwwwwww. Do you have any idea how many bodily fluids and dust mites the average used mattress contains? Send it to the dump.
Recycling doesn't just mean giving it to someone. However sites like CL and freecycle are an option because despite hygiene issues there are some people who can't afford a mattress period, and would rather a used one than the floor. Alternately art students are always looking for odd things not necessarily for their original intended use.

It is a good thing you have foam mattresses: Spring mattresses are a big problem for landfills because they're so hard to compact and an uncompacted mattress takes up a lot of space. They spring back into shape most of the time, and all the springs and metal components designed for bouncy thick mattressness tend to get caught in the compacter and have to be cleared manually. In some areas there are companies that will take your mattress from you to break it down into components that can be sent to a recycler. A lot of the time they hire prison labor because mattress disposal is a pretty unpleasant job, and not cost effective.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
When I bought a bed last year I had the hardest time figuring out what to do with the old one. Like the OP, I wanted to be semi responsible and recycle it or something other than chuck it in some random dumpster. My area didn't have mattress pick up (some towns do have specific mattress pick ups though) and recycling, as it turns out, is very expensive with mattresses b/c of all the labor involved to separate the components. Ultimately, I put it up on craigslist for free (the bed was actually only 3-4 years old, but was fairly cheap new, and I was buying a bigger one) and it was gone within an hour! I had 50+ responses before I took the ad down. I must say, it was a little sad to read all the emails - I might have been getting a line from a lot of these people, but it seemed there was a real need out there. The people who picked it said their mothers house burned and she didn't have money to replace most of the stuff. The result was a win b/c now this lady had a bed and my bed didn't have to go to the dump. Granted a used bed wouldn't be my #1 choice but what do you people think your sleeping on at a hotel? How many people stayed there before you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.